MozillaZine

Mozilla v Pheonix?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Ten-Zero

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 2:43 am

Sorry if this question has already been answered.

I understand what Pheonix is trying to acheive. I understand the development of Mozilla. What I don't know is why Pheonix is being developed as an aside to the mozilla browser. Will Pheonix replace the Mozilla browser componant? Are the developments of Pheonix directly interchangable with the developments of the Mozilla browser componant?

I'm sorry if this question doesn't make any sense - just trying to figure out the divergence of Mozilla/Pheonix and whether I should stop looking at releases for Mozilla and focus on Pheonix.

I this topic/question has already been covered somewhere else I apologise and would appreciate a link to it as I couldn't find (after hours of searching).
A procrastinator's work is never done.

perlhack

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 8:13 am

Think of it through an analogy. Most companies have consumer products manufacturing, and a research group.

Phoenix can be considered as part of the research arm of the Mozilla organization; it also benefits from having plenty of users willing to test it, which leads to better design criteria.

Mozilla, on the other hand, is a stable consumer product which implements new features slowly, but doesn't take some of the risks that the Phoenix developers take. This benefits non-technical end-users and organizations which embed or distribute Mozilla-based technologies.

Eventually, when Phoenix is "consumer-grade" (it already is, in my opinion), some of the technology used in Phoenix can be ported to Mozilla. (For example, the customizable toolbars.)

Of course, others may see the situation differently.
A clever man is wise and conceals everything, but the stupid parade their folly. <Proverbs 13:16>

nicubunu

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 8:44 am

The Phoenix project was started by a group of Mozilla developers unhappy with the direction of the Mozilla. It was never intended as part of the research arm (perlhack is wrong here), in fact is coded in the free time of the developers.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

perlhack

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 11:32 am

At the top of my message, I stated "think of it through an analogy".

I am well aware that Phoenix was created as a separate entity by a handful of developers on their free time. And as far as I know, mozilla does not have a "research arm". Interesting ideas and requests are submitted to Bugzilla, or a developer tries it out on his/her personal build first.

And in the same vein, so are Minotaur and Thunderbird eventually to be unleashed unto the Mozilla community.

Anyway, sorry if I caused any confusion, but I did pre-qualify my remarks.

herman

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 5:41 pm

perlhack wrote:Think of it through an analogy. Most companies have consumer products manufacturing, and a research group.

Phoenix can be considered as part of the research arm of the Mozilla organization;

Mozilla, on the other hand, is a stable consumer product

Of course, others may see the situation differently.

Imho both groups, mozilla and phoenix, are a research group.
At least, they are doing the research for IE 8.0 ;-)

Let´s stay serious.
Mozilla is a highly configurable application, so it´s not for consumers which don´t want to RTFM, and they even don´t deliver a thick manual,
which would be needed, so you need this user forums for help.
So mozilla is for the computer savvy, and the rest?

Phoenix will be for the rest.
There are not much preferences to play with,
but you can decorate your room, giving you a bit of control.

Phoenix is the consumer product, and it is a fine consumer product,
good looking, and of high quality.

I like both of them, but I use mozilla, because I can´t share my bookmarks and I need it for mail.

herman

Return to SeaMonkey General