MozillaZine

Phoenix Bonsai

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ted Mielczarek

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 11:29 am

http://backprop.net/mozilla/bonsaibugs/phoenix.php

This is a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to work for Phoenix. I'm guessing that checkins to the Phoenix tree don't tend to mention bug numbers, eh? Kind of a shame...

alanjstr

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 12:13 pm

Ted Mielczarek wrote:http://backprop.net/mozilla/bonsaibugs/phoenix.php

This is a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to work for Phoenix. I'm guessing that checkins to the Phoenix tree don't tend to mention bug numbers, eh? Kind of a shame...

<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Phoenix&resolution=FIXED&changedin=7">Phoenxi bugs fixed in last 7 days</a>

seb

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 12:53 pm

alanjstr wrote:<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Phoenix&resolution=FIXED&changedin=7">Phoenxi bugs fixed in last 7 days</a>
Not exactly.
Those are the fixed bugs that have been modified during the last 7 days. They can have been fixed, or their milestone was changed, or someone added/removed himself from the Cc: list, etc.

spark

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 1:09 pm

Ted, did I see somewhere that you were going to look at the Bonsai output code and clean up the HTML a bit? A nice clean output from cvsquery.cgi would be great :P

Course I could be imagining things...

Ted Mielczarek

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 1:16 pm

spark wrote:Ted, did I see somewhere that you were going to look at the Bonsai output code and clean up the HTML a bit? A nice clean output from cvsquery.cgi would be great :P

Course I could be imagining things...

Haha, yeah. I looked at it, and decided it's very ugly. ;-) Bonsai is quite a tangled mess of code. Maybe if I get some free time (over Christmas perhaps) I'll have another look at it and see if I can't make heads or tails of it. It would be a worthwhile project, but I'm not promising anything.

alanjstr

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 1:36 pm

Netsabes wrote:
alanjstr wrote:<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Phoenix&resolution=FIXED&changedin=7">Phoenxi bugs fixed in last 7 days</a>
Not exactly.
Those are the fixed bugs that have been modified during the last 7 days. They can have been fixed, or their milestone was changed, or someone added/removed himself from the Cc: list, etc.

True. But it was as close as I could get with Bugzilla. For the most part, once the bug is closed, it doesn't get modified unless someone changes it from Resolved Fixed to Verified Fixed (thus my query like that for Mozilla is never right).

spark

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 2:37 pm

If you get a chance, that would be cool :mrgreen:

asa

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 4:33 pm

alanjstr wrote:

<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Phoenix&resolution=FIXED&changedin=7">Phoenxi bugs fixed in last 7 days</a>

What you really want is "Phoenix bugs which are in the fixes resolution and which have had a resolution change to fixed in the last 7 days." This isn't currently possible but you can modify the query slightly to say "Phoenix bugs which are in the fixed resolution and which have had a resolution change to fixed between <date 1> and <now>" and that query does work. That gets you a very accurate list but the query has to be altered every day if you want it to be "the last 7 days".

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961

rwall

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 11:43 am

asa wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

What you really want is "Phoenix bugs which are in the fixes resolution and which have had a resolution change to fixed in the last 7 days." This isn't currently possible but you can modify the query slightly to say "Phoenix bugs which are in the fixed resolution and which have had a resolution change to fixed between <date 1> and <now>" and that query does work. That gets you a very accurate list but the query has to be altered every day if you want it to be "the last 7 days".

--Asa

I am the author of the BonsaiBugs script on backprop.net.

The Phoenix page is working fine. It queries bonsai every night with the options set to check the mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit directories only and it looks for bugs fixed in the last week. Currently the results returned include several checkins (mostly trunk fixes ported to Phoenix). None of these checkins have bugs linked to them though.

I actually have a new version of these pages about 95% complete. These pages track other branches and directories besides the trunk and Phoenix (and have another neat feature that I am currently tuning suggested to me via the feedback form). I hope to announce them here in the next couple of weeks, stay tuned....

asa

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 11:56 am

rwall wrote:The Phoenix page is working fine. It queries bonsai every night with the options set to check the mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit directories only and it looks for bugs fixed in the last week. Currently the results returned include several checkins (mostly trunk fixes ported to Phoenix). None of these checkins have bugs linked to them though.

Right, which means that it's not always clear what was being fixed. Bonsai has always been imperfect because even when bugs are listed in a checkin comment it's not always the correct bug number listed (typos or numbers that get linkified which aren't bugs). In the case of Phoenix it's even less useful as a measure of fixed bugs because, as you noted, many Phoenix checkins don't even list bug numbers. Thus, the better approach is to look for checkin comments which describe the problem being fixed and also to look at bugzilla to see what bugs were resolved as fixed in that time frame (probably want to check to see that trusted people did the resolving). Between the two of those you get a decent picture of what's new.
This is what I do when I'm looking for the list of fixed issues in a given seamonkey milestone. I query bonsai for all checkins to the trunk and milestone branch and convert that to a buglist. Then I query for all of the bugs resolved as (and still) fixed during the trunk development days. I combine the lists and then remove bugs which haven't been changed recently enough (bad numbers from bonsai), and remove bugs which aren't currently resolved (reopened or bad bonsai links). Then I check through the set of bugs that weren't on both lists and manually weed out a few that didn't belong. When all that's done I've got a pretty good list of the changes that took place during that milestone.
Just using Bonsai or just using Bugzilla gives me a list that's only about 80% as thorough and only about 90% accurate as the process above. For mozilla users that's probably sufficient but for an organization interested in moving from one milestone as a base for their development to another I don't consider that sufficient.
I'm sure I left out a step or two, and this is veering wildly offtopic, but that's the basic process I've discovered gives the most accurate results with the least amount of work.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961

rwall

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 12:13 pm

asa wrote:
rwall wrote:The Phoenix page is working fine. It queries bonsai every night with the options set to check the mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit directories only and it looks for bugs fixed in the last week. Currently the results returned include several checkins (mostly trunk fixes ported to Phoenix). None of these checkins have bugs linked to them though.

Right, which means that it's not always clear what was being fixed. Bonsai has always been imperfect because even when bugs are listed in a checkin comment it's not always the correct bug number listed (typos or numbers that get linkified which aren't bugs). In the case of Phoenix it's even less useful as a measure of fixed bugs because, as you noted, many Phoenix checkins don't even list bug numbers. Thus, the better approach is to look for checkin comments which describe the problem being fixed and also to look at bugzilla to see what bugs were resolved as fixed in that time frame (probably want to check to see that trusted people did the resolving). Between the two of those you get a decent picture of what's new.
This is what I do when I'm looking for the list of fixed issues in a given seamonkey milestone. I query bonsai for all checkins to the trunk and milestone branch and convert that to a buglist. Then I query for all of the bugs resolved as (and still) fixed during the trunk development days. I combine the lists and then remove bugs which haven't been changed recently enough (bad numbers from bonsai), and remove bugs which aren't currently resolved (reopened or bad bonsai links). Then I check through the set of bugs that weren't on both lists and manually weed out a few that didn't belong. When all that's done I've got a pretty good list of the changes that took place during that milestone.
Just using Bonsai or just using Bugzilla gives me a list that's only about 80% as thorough and only about 90% accurate as the process above. For mozilla users that's probably sufficient but for an organization interested in moving from one milestone as a base for their development to another I don't consider that sufficient.
I'm sure I left out a step or two, and this is veering wildly offtopic, but that's the basic process I've discovered gives the most accurate results with the least amount of work.

--Asa

I'm not sure where is on topic for this - but I do think it is an interesting topic so I will continue here.

My script actually does some of this. It checks the list of bugs returned from bugzilla and it discards any bugs that appear but were not modified in the past week. It also dicards any bugs that appear in the list with resolutions of DUPLICATE, WORKSFORME or INVALID. I assume that all these bugs I am discarding were linked from bonsai accidently/incorrectly. There is no intervention on my part and I have found no problems with the bugs shown so far (please let me know if you find a problem).

To deal with bugs that have been reopened I would have to rerun my queries for every days checkins for the mozilla trunk and compare the output. This is something I might consider doing if you or others thought it was worthwhile (it would flag regressions causing the bug to be REOPENED over the week following a fix being checked in and show them at the bottom of the page below that days fixes).

Return to Firefox General