MozillaZine

Open In New Tab (Default for all Target=New links)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
VinceVW

Post Posted February 5th, 2003, 2:18 pm

johnh123 wrote:
agamid wrote:I definitely don't use tab groups, but that's because I don't understand them. actually, I haven't even played around with them.

I am in the same boat as you. Anyone who uses tab groups care to share with us what they are good for?

I do use tabgroups. They basically give the same colour to tabs that are related, e.g. link that was clicked on a page will open in new tab and have same colour. It makes things easier to follow when you have a lot of tabs open + it configures itself automatically, so no hassle!

MarquisMark

Post Posted February 8th, 2003, 7:26 pm

djspark wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:
djspark wrote:Does anyone have an extension, or has thought about making an extension that would take all of the <A target="new"> and make the default to open in a new tab verses a new tab...

Thanks,
Mark

I plan to make an extension that enables this (if someone doesn't beat me to it) once the changes to the options dialog start settling. This is a pref I think should be in the browser by default.

yeah I agree, this should mos def be a default pref in the core install... But until then I'd like a nice thin extension to provide this :)

thanks alot,
djspark

The problem is that Mozilla doesn't support this behavior either. Not sure why since we got stuff like TBE and Multizilla working just fine. It's always bugged me that Moz's tab implementation has always been incomplete and yet they continue to add new features (which are cool, but unnecessary). Seems to me that they should fix current features first, then add new ones. If I had the skills, I'd do something about it, but sadly I don't.

asa

Post Posted February 8th, 2003, 11:46 pm

MarquisMark wrote:It's always bugged me that Moz's tab implementation has always been incomplete and yet they continue to add new features (which are cool, but unnecessary). Seems to me that they should fix current features first, then add new ones. If I had the skills, I'd do something about it, but sadly I don't.

By that thinking, we wouldn't have tabbed browsing at all in Mozilla. See, there were incomplete and buggy features (some of them critical) in Mozilla when tabbed browsing was added. What you're really saying is not that it bothers you that new features are being added and old ones not made better, but rather that new features you don't care about are being added while old features you do care about are not made better.

--Asa

Hooded One

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 11:50 am

I would love for this to be an extension or just included by default. I first was introduced to tabs by Opera, and when I first saw them, I wondered WHY anybody would want something so stupid. But then I tried them for a while, and realized how useful they were. They're much better, IMHO, than WinXP's method of dealing with many taskbar buttons. (I still use taskbar button grouping, but I prefer tabs for browsing.) On occasion I still use a new window to keep things separate, but the vast majority of the time I open things in new tabs.

Yay for tabs.

cdaledave

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:38 pm

If you do make a new extension, please make it work with javascript new windows. TBE would be fine by me if it didn't break opening new windows by js.

Another idea - An exception to the 'open as tabs by default' preference to allow small popups to open as windows instead of tabs. Not ad popups, but requested ones. Small popup pages. Like on the tvguide site, program descriptions are popups. Its annoying to have these open as tabs. Perhaps requested popups with specific window size could open as windows.

Gort

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 5:03 pm

Personally, I prefer new windows of any kind to open as a tab when browsing (like Opera), but that's just my taste. However, I do feel that there needs to be a choice between the way I would prefer it and the camp that want requested pop-ups as new windows.

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 5:20 pm

cdaledave wrote:If you do make a new extension, please make it work with javascript new windows. TBE would be fine by me if it didn't break opening new windows by js.

Another idea - An exception to the 'open as tabs by default' preference to allow small popups to open as windows instead of tabs. Not ad popups, but requested ones. Small popup pages. Like on the tvguide site, program descriptions are popups. Its annoying to have these open as tabs. Perhaps requested popups with specific window size could open as windows.

Fyi, it is possible to control the destination of links by using the shift and ctrl keys:
Shift-leftclick = Force link to open in new window
Ctrl-leftclick = Force link to open in new tab

These seem to work regardless of normal left-click settings even with TBE.

Return to Extension Development