MozillaZine

User Profiles & Preferences

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jreyst

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 10:48 am

Wouldn't it be nice if you could store all of your preferences, extensions, skins, etc in some internet location, like an ftp site, or a yahoo folder or something so that whenever you reinstall or update, you just point Phoenix to web location X and it is all set? Just some random thoughts lol Maybe even some Netscape.com free folder or something? When you install Phoenix it could ask you "Do you already have a set of preferences or existing user profile on Netscape (or whatever).com?" If so it would download and install/configure your stored preferences, skins, extensions etc.

laszlo

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 11:43 am

Something like this?

jreyst

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 11:51 am

laszlo wrote:Something like this?

Precisely. Except, I would like my skins & extensions stored as well as my preferences. It sure looks like that 'bug'/feature request is in developer limbo right now though.

Robert W

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 7:15 pm

jreyst wrote:Precisely. Except, I would like my skins & extensions stored as well as my preferences. It sure looks like that 'bug'/feature request is in developer limbo right now though.

If you are including plugins and extensions in your list you might run into some licensing issues. You would in effect be redistributing software. If there are commercial extensions developed for Phoenix in the future this would most likely be against the licensing agreement. Even if the only user was yourself. They want you to accept that EULA every time :)

-Robert W.

TomDibble

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 11:13 am

Robert W wrote:
jreyst wrote:Precisely. Except, I would like my skins & extensions stored as well as my preferences. It sure looks like that 'bug'/feature request is in developer limbo right now though.

If you are including plugins and extensions in your list you might run into some licensing issues. You would in effect be redistributing software. If there are commercial extensions developed for Phoenix in the future this would most likely be against the licensing agreement. Even if the only user was yourself. They want you to accept that EULA every time :)

-Robert W.

Huh? You've accepted the EULA on installation. Repeatedly accepting it doesn't change anything.

As for precedents: Windows upgrades without you having to reinstall all client software. IE upgrades without requiring reinstalls of Acrobat Reader and Quicktime and Macromedia etc. Even Office upgrades without having to reinstall existing add-ons (even if existing add-ons fail to work in the new version). From the non-MS side of things: many Linux distributions can upgrade themselves without affecting existing applications and settings.

An upgrade of a "host" program does not, in usual practice, require reinstallation of hosted components. If it is technically possible for Mozilla to do this, there is no user or developer expectation that would be broken.

Personally, I'd appreciate it if Mozilla either stored the .xpi's or a link to the .xpi in some sort of "update" file. I do this by hand currently, and it makes upgrading my browser quite easy, but it takes a bit too much repetitive and easily-automated effort while installing plugins.

Return to Firefox General