MozillaZine

Trivial Updated

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Stefan

Post Posted January 4th, 2003, 9:24 am

cdn wrote:n.b. this was/is a quick hack

source* is available to someone who might be able to achieve this, unless I do first

Um, was this in reply to me?
I'm not well versed in CSV and JavaScript coding abilities is almost as bad :D

Anyway, a simple hack to get a searchbutton working IMO would be to make a JavaScript that copies the searchterms from the URL-bar to the searchbar and then just "executes an enter" in the searchbar.

That seems like the simple stright approch way to do it without adding a lot of duplicate code for things that is already available.

Also, it would be nice if placing the searchbutton on the toolbars could automatically implement
#search-bar {width:20px !important;}
so all the remains of the searchbar visibly is the "dropdown choose searchengine" functionallity.

alanjstr

Post Posted January 4th, 2003, 9:25 am

Stefan wrote:Anyway, a simple hack to get a searchbutton working IMO would be to make a JavaScript that copies the searchterms from the URL-bar to the searchbar and then just "executes an enter" in the searchbar.

We call that the Go button :-D
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Stefan

Post Posted January 4th, 2003, 9:29 am

alanjstr wrote:
Stefan wrote:Anyway, a simple hack to get a searchbutton working IMO would be to make a JavaScript that copies the searchterms from the URL-bar to the searchbar and then just "executes an enter" in the searchbar.

Um, writing a search items in the url bar and pressing the go button ceartainly does not resoult in a search for me...

I get a new "do you feel luck, punk!" random page, which is definitly not what I desire if I have specified the searchbar to find the search item to "find in this page"

alanjstr

Post Posted January 4th, 2003, 9:36 am

Stefan wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

Um, writing a search items in the url bar and pressing the go button ceartainly does not resoult in a search for me...

I get a new "do you feel luck, punk!" random page, which is definitly not what I desire if I have specified the searchbar to find the search item to "find in this page"

Ah. I was unclear as to the search target. I changed my keyword search to being a general google. The original request mentioned "default search engine"
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Return to Extension Development