MozillaZine

TB 78.4: Can't email (Peers certificate) and color panes?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm

When you connect to a mail server you may actually connect to a load balancing router that routes your connection to a different server at that location to try to use the least heavily used server. So its possible to fix your SSL certificate problems for one server and then have them re-appear. The SSL certificate is used to encrypt/decrypt data sent to/from the mail server.

If things work for a while, the problem re-occurs, you workaround it and the cycle repeats you either need to either:

(a) Get somebody at Comcast to look at the certificates and fix the problem.

(b) Pick a different Comcast server that doesn't have this problem and accept slightly poorer performance because its further away.

(c) If you have another account reconfigure the Comcast account to use another accounts SMTP server. That can be changed using the Outgoing (SMTP Server) list box at the bottom of the pane that specifies your name and email address in the Comcast account settings. This is the topmost entry in the tree, not one of child panes such as copies & folders or server settings.

You'd have problems using a Gmail (wants to save the sent mail in the gmail sent items folder) or AOL (you'd have to register your comcast from: address with AOL webmail as another legitimate from: address) smtp server with Comcast. Other than them it probably isn't an issue. They usually just care that you provide valid login information and it doesn't look like spam.

If you don't want to talk to Comcast option C is your best bet. I suggest you start with option A. Option B can have side effects (save a separate copy of the password, change the local directory used to store the accounts files etc.).

Flycaster

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 3:13 pm

Thanks for the explanations. Before I do anything, I'll call Comcast tomorrow to see what they have to say.
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v84, Edge v84, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Premium Security v20.6

Flycaster

Post Posted November 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am

Can't contact Comcast with questions as I no longer use them. We switched to Hotwire, but kept Comcast as my server. It seems that when I first open TB in the morning and go to send an email, I have to go through the effort of confirming the certificate. After confirmation, then all starts to work as it should. This is going to be PITA unless I can understand how to fix it without Comcast's help.
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v84, Edge v84, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Premium Security v20.6

Flycaster

Post Posted December 2nd, 2020, 9:22 am

My email problem is continuing. I have exactly the same setups on my HP desktop--Ver78.5.1 32-bit and my MS Surface Pro6--Ver 68.12.1 32-bit (including the exact same TB profiles.) I have no email problems with the latter. Clicking on an Inbox causes a non-stopping rotating circle in the Inbox tab and in the lower right corner "Connected to imap.comcast.net...", and although the email goes out appropriately, I'm being told it is being saved in the Local Sent folder. Also of note is that when I freshly open TB and send an email, I get the request to certify a certificate. Which I do, and then this alert usually doesn't appear with further emails. Also of note, disabling Avast and everything works as it should!

tanstaafl

Post Posted December 2nd, 2020, 10:35 am

"Can't contact Comcast with questions as I no longer use them. We switched to Hotwire, but kept Comcast as my server. "

I'm confused. You changed ISP's and expect to be able to use your old ISP as a email provider?

Flycaster

Post Posted December 2nd, 2020, 12:19 pm

This has not been a problem within my community. The community started with comcast, but 10 years later they got a better deal from Hotwire. But, comcast allowed us to use them (if we wanted to) as our email server. Most folks went to gmail, but I didn't because I was too lazy to change all my email address to gmail...so, I and others kept comcast. Which, BTW, has never been a problem until now with the updating from TB 68.

Return to Thunderbird Support