MozillaZine

Sync problems with Gmail - Sent messages disappeared

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
brooktrout717

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Hello and thank you for your patience in this, my first post on this forum. I am having an issue syncing my Gmail accounts with Thunderbird. All of my Sent messages appear to be gone, both within Thunderbird and when I access my Gmail in a browser. Rather, to find messages I've sent or my replies to threads, I have to go into Archives and sift through there to find them. It seems these messages have lost their distinction as 'Sent' and are therefore unable to be grouped in the Sent folder. I am using Unified Folders with two accounts, and this issue is present on both. Wondering what I might have done to cause this, and what if anything might be possible to restore this functionality so that I can quickly and easily view messages I have sent?

Thanks very much for your assistance,
Seán

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place. Gmail normally doesn't use a "Sent" folder , it uses a "Sent Mail" folder. The Gmail SMTP server automatically places a copy of a sent message in the Sent Mail folder, which is why you normally don't enable Thunderbird saving a copy of the sent message (as it would cause a duplicate) using the accounts Copies & Folders settings. Try temporarily setting view -> folders -> all and see if your missing messages are in a Sent Mail folder.

If they are in Sent Mail then the question of why that folder is not listed in your unified folders view under Sent is a separate problem that we can try to help you with. Its not unheard of for a unified folders view to have problems due to a corrupted virtualfolders.dat file for example. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unified_Folders_not_working

Did you archive those messages? In Thunderbird archiving moves the selected messages, it doesn't just copy them. At least on my system the Gmail copies & folders settings default to pointing to a non-existent "Archives" folder for archiving. Since I've never tried to archive any Gmail messages that has never caused any problems.

What version does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using? For example 78.5.0.

brooktrout717

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 11:54 pm

tanstaafl wrote:Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place. Gmail normally doesn't use a "Sent" folder , it uses a "Sent Mail" folder. The Gmail SMTP server automatically places a copy of a sent message in the Sent Mail folder, which is why you normally don't enable Thunderbird saving a copy of the sent message (as it would cause a duplicate) using the accounts Copies & Folders settings. Try temporarily setting view -> folders -> all and see if your missing messages are in a Sent Mail folder.

I tried doing as you say and no, my messages are not in a Sent Mail folder, unfortunately.

tanstaafl wrote:If they are in Sent Mail then the question of why that folder is not listed in your unified folders view under Sent is a separate problem that we can try to help you with. Its not unheard of for a unified folders view to have problems due to a corrupted virtualfolders.dat file for example. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unified_Folders_not_working

Did you archive those messages? In Thunderbird archiving moves the selected messages, it doesn't just copy them. At least on my system the Gmail copies & folders settings default to pointing to a non-existent "Archives" folder for archiving. Since I've never tried to archive any Gmail messages that has never caused any problems.

I did archive these messages. I seem to remember in browser Gmail that it was possible for messages to be both archived and show up in Sent? I think I see what you mean - I've probably somehow moved all my Sent messages to All Mail/archive. Is there a way to move them back?

tanstaafl wrote:What version does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using? For example 78.5.0.

I am using version 78.5.0.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 20th, 2020, 11:59 am

Archiving in gmail webmail is different from archiving in a email client like Thunderbird. For example in gmail webmail "When you archive a message: The message will come back to your inbox when someone replies to it.".

You can move the messages back using Thunderbird. Just select all of them in the folder (left click on a message in the folder and then use control-A or edit -> select -> all) and then use message -> move to.

brooktrout717

Post Posted November 20th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Thanks for your help! Is there a way to set up Thunderbird to behave like Gmail Archive? To get messages I've sent back into the Sent folder, I guess the best method would be to somehow search for all messages sent by my address, and move them all into Sent? It's free to know how best to store these threaded messages with multiple replies from myself and others.

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 21st, 2020, 5:07 pm

"Is there a way to set up Thunderbird to behave like Gmail Archive? "

If you mean stuff like "When you archive a message: The message will come back to your inbox when someone replies to it."." not that I'm aware of.

Your options are pretty much limited to what you can do with message filters and in copies & folders checking "place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" (normally used when you dedicate a separate sent folder for each recipient).

See if the Thunderbird conversations add-on offers any features you're interested in.

Return to Thunderbird Support