MozillaZine

Can I Get Rid Any of the Stuff on the Sidebar?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
freddygarvin

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 1:19 am

Is there anyway I can get rid of any of the junk that hogs up the sidebar:

like with perhaps an edit to the css file? Even if I could just get rid of the Bookmarks header and search box, that would be awesome.

Also, is there of making the bookmarks themselves more compact? Thanks for any help.

kreemoweet

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Main Menu > View > Sidebar > uncheck everything

jscher2000

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Yes, userChrome.css rules can squish or hide the header and search box. The actual bookmarks list is a "tree" structure that is not easily modified with style rules but the height of each row is style-able.

Code: Select all
    /* Hide the Bookmarks Sidebar header */
    #sidebar-box[sidebarcommand="viewBookmarksSidebar"] #sidebar-header {
      display: none !important;
    }
    /* Hide the Bookmarks Sidebar search box */
    #bookmarksPanel #sidebar-search-container {
      display: none !important;
    }
    /* Shorten row height in the Bookmarks Sidebar */
    #bookmarks-view treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
      /* default is about 24px, 16px is cramped but readable */
      min-height: 20px !important;
      height: 20px !important;
    }

freddygarvin

Post Posted April 28th, 2020, 1:36 am

Thanks jscher2000. I really appreciate the help. I added the code to my .css file in the chrome folder of profile directory. When that didn't work I deleted all the other stuff in the .css file( a lot of stuff had accumulated over the years) and had only the code listed here. Unfortunately, neither attempt got rid of the Bookmarks header or search box. I'm running Linux if that makes any difference, but I'd like to use this edit on my Windows machines and my Mac. Thanks again.

morat

Post Posted April 28th, 2020, 6:18 am

Try setting the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference to true, then restart.

Firefox Changes Breaking userChrome.css
http://www.userchrome.org/firefox-changes-userchrome-css.html

jscher2000

Post Posted April 28th, 2020, 11:38 pm

I tested using the Browser Toolbox. If you fire up the Browser Toolbox, does it show it is applying the userChrome.css file to any other elements that you are styling, or list it in the Style Editor tab? https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Tools/Browser_Toolbox

freddygarvin

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 2:20 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how to enable the Browser Toolbox? According to teh link, I need to open the Developer Tools Settings, which is done by clicking the elipsis on the right of the tab, but the only ellipsis I have is in the ul box have doesn't say anything about a Browser Toolbox. Thanks again.

jscher2000

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 7:40 am

For Developer Tools settings, open any of the tools, such as the Page Inspector, and then button should be along the top row of the tools as shown in the screenshot in the article. Note that they have expanded the pane upwards; by default it will only be half that tall.

dickvl

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 1:39 pm

Note that you can also press the F1 key to open the developer tools settings page once you have opened any of the tools.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Tools/Settings

freddygarvin

Post Posted May 3rd, 2020, 1:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I managed to open the developer toolbox. I don't know what any of it means, but here's a screenshot:

Thanks again.

jscher2000

Post Posted May 3rd, 2020, 7:05 am

On the Style Editor tab, look for your userChrome.css file in the list. Did Firefox load it?

You can test rule changes by editing live in that Style Editor and if it is an improvement, there's a "Save" link below the file name to commit the changes back to userChrome.css.

Note that even though you are making live changes, you may need to close and re-open the sidebar to see the results of each change.

freddygarvin

Post Posted May 4th, 2020, 2:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I did not see the userChrome file in the list, but there was a lot there and I may have missed it. Is there an easier wa to find it than scrolling through the list?

Return to Firefox Support