MozillaZine

67 Profile Nightmare (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
crxssi

Post Posted May 21st, 2019, 7:00 pm

After installing FIrefox 67, it ignored all my old settings in my old profile, created a new profile that is completely unusable, and gave me only ONE WAY to get my "settings" back (and it would only be some of them) and that is to create some cloud-based "Sync" account. And it offered to do so. I find that choice completely unacceptable.

All I want to do is just go from 66 to 67 and have it use all my settings and all my addons exactly as before, like it has for every other update I have done for many years. It would appear that is now impossible unless I submit to online cloud services that I don't want. After searching for a solution for hours, there doesn't appear to be any work-around. Manual copying over of bookmarks and logins and forms files is not only difficult, it doesn't preserve the tons of other settings I had (hundreds of hours of perfecting over the years with about:config and addon tweaks), and if I try to copy over the prefs file, it won't work at all.

For now, I was forced to abandon 67 completely and use 66 until I can figure out what I am supposed to do. What exactly are our options for re-use of the entire previous profile after an upgrade when Sync is unacceptable? Thanks
Last edited by DanRaisch on May 21st, 2019, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject.

tomdkat

Post Posted May 21st, 2019, 7:50 pm

I'm in the same boat, except I haven't tried to go back to Firefox 66 yet. Bookmarks, saved passwords, the whole nine... GONE. I'm on Ubuntu 19.04. *Not* a good user experience at all. *sigh*

I'm NOT in the same boat, afterall. I simply opened the wrong profile. Once I opened the correct profile in Firefox 67, everything was restored. :)

Peace...

crxssi

Post Posted May 21st, 2019, 8:40 pm

tomdkat wrote:I'm in the same boat, except I haven't tried to go back to Firefox 66 yet. Bookmarks, saved passwords, the whole nine... GONE. I'm on Ubuntu 19.04. *Not* a good user experience at all. *sigh*

I'm NOT in the same boat, afterall. I simply opened the wrong profile. Once I opened the correct profile in Firefox 67, everything was restored. :)

Peace...

Interesting. My last attempt was a mess, and it left me with two profiles- a new/blank default profile and my old one and it would not allow me to select anything or use or import or copy in my old profile. After playing around and getting nowhere with multiple starts and lots of fiddling, I closed 67 for good, manually wiped the $HOME/.mozilla/firefox new default directory and restored the profiles.ini file from backup (which 67 had modified, adding its new profile directory). Finished the day using 66, which was fine.

Based on your posting, I decided to just try it again. I did nothing special, I just closed 66, called the new Firefox 67 binary, and a window came up this time asking me which profile to use. This did NOT happen the first time around. I selected the only one there, Default, and 67 came up just fine and with all my settings. I went into $HOME/.mozilla/firefox and sure enough, there is only a single profile... the one I was using from 66.

I am completely baffled now. Happy it is working, wondering what happened, and wondering what will happen the next time I upgrade. Even wondering what will happen the next time I launch Firefox 67, which I am about to do now...

crxssi

Post Posted May 21st, 2019, 8:48 pm

Worked fine. The only thing I did differently this second time was to launch Firefox 67 manually:

$/opt/firefox67/firefox

The first time around, I did what I always do, su, install in /opt and then go to /usr/bin and replace the firefox link with ln -s /opt/firefoxXX/firefox exit su and then launch firefox from the GUI menu entry (an icon on the KDE taskbar that does nothing but call "firefox %u"). I don't see how that is any different from what I did the second time around.

I just did all the above again- exit 67, create new link, and launch it from KDE and it worked fine that way, also.

So still baffled. I did manage to find other users complaining about a similar experience after upgrading to 67 (not many, though), so at least I know I am not insane.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:43 am

I simply opened the wrong profile.

When I first opened 67, it (defaulted) to opening the wrong Profile -not the last used or any other, so I too ended up opening the wrong profile. So don't blame yourself.
Last edited by therube on May 22nd, 2019, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:46 am

The concept of Profiles has changed (much less multiple profiles, instances, & how you open them... & not like I even have a good feel for all the goings on, at this point), viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3050319.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

WaltS48

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 6:15 am

\ have a release and Nightly version installed on my system.

I just received the update to 67.0 from Ubuntu, started it and the Profile Manager opened allowing me to select the default release profile. No problems here.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Grumpus

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 6:27 am

Inst stalled from the Linux Mint 18.3 repos, no problem opened the same profile.
No other profile created.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

crxssi

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm

I do wish to thank the other posters for contributing their experiences.

Return to Firefox Support