MozillaZine

A script on this page is causing mozilla to run slowly...

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
dan_aka_jack

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 9:46 am

Hi,

I have just installed Sunbird on my Gentoo Linux box. It started up fine for the first time (once I'd figured out how). I then imported my .ICS calender from KOrganiser. Now Sunbird runs really slowly and when it first starts up a "script warning" keeps popping up saying: "A script on this page is causing mozilla to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?". I've tried saying "yes" and "no" but the script warning always pops up several times. If I say "yes" several times then the popup stops popping up and I can use Sunbird but it runs really slowly.

Any ideas?

I've tried installing Sunbird in two ways: first I just downloaded in the binary archive from Mozilla and installed it manually. Then I tried installing it using "emerge mozilla-sunbird-bin" on gentoo and running Sunbird using "sunbird -calendar"

Many thanks,
Jack

faun

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 9:48 am

I had the same problem with 0.2RC2 on windows. Is the gentoo-build really up to date? 0.2 final should run smoothly.

dan_aka_jack

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 9:54 am

Thanks for the really quick reply!

No, I don't think the Gentoo build is particularly up-to-date. I think it was last updated in Jan 2005.

I tried 0.2 first but that didn't enjoy importing the ICS file.

faun

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 11:07 am

hmm. quite strange. maybe you have to built it yourself via cvs. sorry, i'm not very experienced with gentoo (never worked on my system).
maybe you can get some info from a gentoo-board, there surely are gentoo users out there who got sunbird running correctly.

dan_aka_jack

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 1:45 pm

Yes, there are Gentoo users who have got Sunbird working propperly. And, indeed, Sunbird does work correctly on my system... until I import my ICS file (which is 2MBytes). After I import my ICS file Sunbird becomes very unresponsive and uses up lots of CPU time. Does Sunbird have a problem working with large calendars? Is it possible to turn off scripting (why does Sunbird give the error message I mentioned in my first post?)

Thanks,
Jack

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 23rd, 2005, 1:18 am

Yes, Sunbird has a problem with large calendars. I have seen this reported by other users.

Sunbird 0.3 contains changes to the storage code. I think these might fix the problem, but 0.3 does not seem to be stable enough to use yet.
Rod

dan_aka_jack

Post Posted March 23rd, 2005, 3:30 am

Hi Rod,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will wait for 0.3 to become stable then.

Thanks,
Jack

dropout

Post Posted March 25th, 2005, 7:09 pm

I have found that 0.2 slows my computer down quite a bit. I don't have a lot of stuff in it either, maybe 10 tasks and 2 recurring entries.

Win ME

Dropout

Return to Calendar