MozillaZine

Sunbird - Minimize Alarms?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
yosISme

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 6:02 am

Sunbird does everything I need it to do. I love it except for one thing that is driving me crazy.

The alarms popup box is always on top, and doesn't seem to be able to be minimized.

Is there no way to minimize this?

I understand some people may always want the alarm on top so they don't lose track of something important, but an option to minimize would seem to be a good compromise.

Anybody else find this bothersome?

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 10:37 am

It's not always on top. It just pops up to the top when a new alarm is raised. You can continue to work in another window over it.

If you want it to go away for a time, the intention is that you should snooze. If you could minimize it, then you might forget about it for longer than you intended, and miss something important.

I think the current design works well. If you really disagree, then you could use Bugzilla to request a change to the design.
Rod

yosISme

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 1:11 pm

That's odd. It's definitely always on top for me. I cannot bring focus of another window over top of it.

This is the stand-alone Sunbird - not integrated with Firefox or Thunderbird.

Hmmmm.....

mnitabach

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 4:59 pm

"It just pops up to the top when a new alarm is raised."

Hmm. Was this feature introduced in a recent Sunbird build? In the version I am using (0.2 on Windows XP) the alarm pop-ups do not appear on the top of other windows.

yosISme

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 6:19 pm

That's strange. I'm using 0.2 on XP also, and mine most definitely stay on top of all other windows no matter what I do.

I've looked through every option, and there isn't an option to change this behavior.

In the 'about' box, there's a date of 20050203, so maybe that's the build date?

yosISme

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 6:50 pm

Ok - after trying several older builds with the same results, it finally occured to me that perhaps Suntray was somehow influencing the behavior of Sunbird. I closed Suntray, and, yep, you guessed it - the alarms no longer demand focus. Yeah! Pretty dim not to have tried ruling that out right up front.

So, if this thread serves no other purpose, maybe someone with the same problem will stumble upon it. Lord knows I searched and searched and found nothing.

Now I'm off to see if there's an update to Suntray...

mnitabach

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 8:51 am

Your problem--alarm demanding focus--is my desired feature!

Return to Calendar