MozillaZine

Calendar sync Outlook

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Bebo

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 2:13 am

I use Mozilla Calendar as an extention to Thunderbird;

Is there a friendly way to syncronize Calendar with Outlook?

i know it's possible to import data from outlook (exported as .CSV file)

best regards,
Bebo

spuri

Post Posted March 26th, 2005, 2:24 am

I hope this func will be in 2.0 ;)

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 26th, 2005, 2:31 am

You use two e-mail clients, Thunderbird and Outlook, and also two calendar clients, Calendar and Outlook? I think that is an unusual requirement.

Normally, you cannot synchronize client programs. Instead, you synchronize both client programs with a server. For example, you could run an FTP server on your own computer. But I do not know whether Outlook can synchronize its calendar using the standard iCal format on FTP.
Rod

Uncle Bob

Post Posted March 27th, 2005, 11:05 am

I would also like to know how as I'm in a similar situation. My "excuse" is as follows:

I use a pda (HP iPAQ) on a daily basis and I sync my mail, calendar and contacts between the pda and Outlook. Because of this reason I use Outlook mostly, but would like to switch to Thunderbird and Sunbird.

Now, there is no way (apparently) to sync with an iPAQ pda, so I would like to have the functionality to sync between the Mozlla products and Outlook and in doing so only use Outlook as the middleman for sync purposes. Then I can use Thunderbird and Sunbird almost exclusively...

If a clever programmer can figure out how to do this, it would result in a lot of people abandoning the Microsoft products for Mozilla...

PS. Rod Whitely, could you explain in laymans terms about this ftp business as a temporary workaround?
I DON'T look busy 'cause I did the job RIGHT the FIRST time...

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 28th, 2005, 2:06 am

Some programmers have done some work on making Mozilla Calendar sync with other devices. But I don't think anyone has completed the task yet.

I still don't know whether Outlook can use an FTP server. If it can, then any FTP server will do. You could use an FTP server on the Internet, if you have access to one. For example, if you maintain a web site then you often use an FTP server to upload files. Alternatively, you can run your own FTP server. The one I use is Filezilla (no relation).

To set up your own FTP server, you create an account and give it access to a directory. If you have a firewall, then the account could be anonymous with no password, but otherwise it is better to have a user name and password.
Rod

Bebo

Post Posted March 29th, 2005, 12:50 am

Rod Whiteley wrote:You use two e-mail clients, Thunderbird and Outlook, and also two calendar clients, Calendar and Outlook? I think that is an unusual requirement.

actually I don't use Outlook as e-mailclient, only to recieve the #NET FOLDERS#-file that outlook sends; problem is that my boss use outlook as calendar & e-mailclient; I used to, but completly switch to mozillaprods.

i thought it is possible to synchronize outlook over an FTP-sever; I’ll try finger it out, later ...

greetz,
Bebo

Return to Calendar