MozillaZine

Default name of saved files

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
florin

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 2:12 pm

I don't have a lot of time for Internet browsing( well, here in Romania even dial-up is a bit expensive...) so I usually save all the pages I'm interested in, and then go off-line and read them.

My problem is that when I heat Ctrl+S in Moz/Phoenix the default name for the file is ususally the files'n name on the server. This name isn't too suggestive in all times, so it would be nice that Moz/Phoenix use the title-bar text as the suggested name in the Save As... dialog( just like in IE for example).

florin

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 2:42 pm

Anyone?

flii

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 3:21 pm

saving pages isn't something i do as often as you obviously need to, but i agree with the idea. just today i had to save some legal document pages for a class project, and all the default save names were "document" because the page i was viewing uses post data. the title of the pages gave ample description however, so i manually typed the title into the save box. i don't have time to hunt around for a bug on this, though, because i didn't allow myself much of a break (yes, yes, the project's due in like 1 hour. i'm a big procrastinator). ;) you might try browsing the bugzilla files and seeing if anyone else suggested this. i think it makes very good sense.

alanjstr

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 6:08 pm

Flii wrote:saving pages isn't something i do as often as you obviously need to, but i agree with the idea. just today i had to save some legal document pages for a class project, and all the default save names were "document" because the page i was viewing uses post data. the title of the pages gave ample description however, so i manually typed the title into the save box. i don't have time to hunt around for a bug on this, though, because i didn't allow myself much of a break (yes, yes, the project's due in like 1 hour. i'm a big procrastinator). ;) you might try browsing the bugzilla files and seeing if anyone else suggested this. i think it makes very good sense.

Just today one of my friends was complaining that he hates how IE does that.

flii

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 7:10 pm

alanjstr wrote:Just today one of my friends was complaining that he hates how IE does that.

to each his own. i would like it this way, but 100% of phoenix users will never agree with any one thing. :) i'd be curious to see how many people would like it either way. so far, you know one person that likes the current, and we have two people here that would like a change. anybody else?

Thumper

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 9:19 pm

Actually what annoys me most is that the behaviour appears to be random to the end user. Occasionally it'll save with a proper name as per IE (using the page's title), but usually you'll get the actual html filename. I'm wondering if it's based off of the page's standards compliance or something, because I get both happening quite a lot.

- Chris

ehume

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 9:46 pm

thumperward wrote:Actually what annoys me most is that the behaviour appears to be random to the end user. Occasionally it'll save with a proper name as per IE (using the page's title), but usually you'll get the actual html filename. I'm wondering if it's based off of the page's standards compliance or something, because I get both happening quite a lot.

- Chris

I have the same experience. But most often I simply get the file name. I really prefer the IE experience in that regard (but not enough to go back to using it). I have gotten into the habit of copying the title before I save.

OTOH, when I was in NZ and connect time was a major issue, I begrudged anything that slowed me down.

Ed

florin

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 5:11 am

Well OK, don't put it as a default action, but at least an option in Preferences....

Stefan

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 5:50 pm

florin wrote:I don't have a lot of time for Internet browsing( well, here in Romania even dial-up is a bit expensive...) so I usually save all the pages I'm interested in, and then go off-line and read them.

My problem is that when I heat Ctrl+S in Moz/Phoenix the default name for the file is ususally the files'n name on the server. This name isn't too suggestive in all times, so it would be nice that Moz/Phoenix use the title-bar text as the suggested name in the Save As... dialog( just like in IE for example).

Then what happens when several pages in the same directory on a server has the same title?

That is not too uncommon ...

flii

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 7:06 pm

Stefan wrote:Then what happens when several pages in the same directory on a server has the same title?

then what happens when several similar pages in related directories all have the same name, such as (bad example) 01.html, 02.html, etc in each dir, though they all have diff page titles, such as (i'm full of bad examples) Product 1 - Dir 1, Product 2 - Dir 2, etc?

Thumper

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 7:41 pm

For god's sake don't make it a pref. I got used to the IE way very quickly and it makes archiving whole html pages a lot easier (unique and relevant file names). Just do it right.

- chris

florin

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 4:15 am

Flii wrote:
Stefan wrote:Then what happens when several pages in the same directory on a server has the same title?

then what happens when several similar pages in related directories all have the same name, such as (bad example) 01.html, 02.html, etc in each dir, though they all have diff page titles, such as (i'm full of bad examples) Product 1 - Dir 1, Product 2 - Dir 2, etc?

That's what I'm talking about. For example this forum... whenever I want to save a page phoenix/Mozilla "want" to save it as viewtopic.html... so I have to change every file's name( usually using Cut&paste) and that's time consuming... IE would put :
MozillaZine :: View topic - Default name of saved files

That's what I would like Phoenix to do.

Return to Firefox Features