MozillaZine

Tweak to URL Editing in the address bar

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
benp@marketing.net.uk

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:05 pm

Say I want to remove the last part of a URL -- a query string or part of a path, for example. Clicking on it seems to select the address in such a way that it can only be dragged away as a shortcut. I'm forced to click again to deselect the whole URL before I can select the suffix I want to kill.

In IE, I can click on the URL (it is then entirely selected), and then I can drag from the middle to make a smaller selection. In Phoenix, when I drag from the middle, I find myself dragging a shortcut to the URL. I'd prefer the IE behaviour; I more frequently edit URLs than make shortcuts to them. I would expect to drag the icon to create a shortcut.

I can see how some might like the current behaviour, so could this be made into a configurable option?

Thumper

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:11 pm

There's a bugzilla report on this one to get fixed rather than preffed I believe. :)

- Chris

laszlo

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:29 pm

benp, Phoenix actually saves you one click. If you want to highlight a query string or another part of an URL, just do so straight away. You don't have to make that first click to completely highlight the URL like in IE.

clav

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 6:42 pm

if you want to remove the last part of a url then you might like the Digger extension. get it from http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#digger

Return to Firefox Features