MozillaZine

autocomplete and word selection

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
stooges

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:40 pm

Those 2 features i miss a lot from IE, that are autocompletion on form entries within the page (not only on address bar) and word selection (that is, if u select a text it automatically tries to select full words)

theres also something about the address bar: when u click it it selects the whole text, then if u click again and drag it tries do drag the text, while i guess the most useful would be start a different selection, since i use a lot of editing the text on the address bar by selecting part of it. What i have to do: triple click slowly, to select all, deselect and reselect.
I think dragging the text may be useful for some but its still very easy to copy+past if someone need it

Ted Mielczarek

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:44 pm

I find word selection highly annoying. Maybe if it was a modifier key, like shift + click and drag, it would be ok. Sometimes I don't want to select entire words, and IE foils my every attempt. If you want to select an entire single word, just double click.

Stefan

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:47 pm

stooges wrote:that are autocompletion on form entries within the page

This is in the process of beeing added.

RAF

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:52 pm

stooges wrote:Those 2 features i miss a lot from IE, that are autocompletion on form entries within the page (not only on address bar) and word selection (that is, if u select a text it automatically tries to select full words)

theres also something about the address bar: when u click it it selects the whole text, then if u click again and drag it tries do drag the text, while i guess the most useful would be start a different selection, since i use a lot of editing the text on the address bar by selecting part of it. What i have to do: triple click slowly, to select all, deselect and reselect.
I think dragging the text may be useful for some but its still very easy to copy+past if someone need it

I'm having the same problems with the address bar... Milestone 0.4 W2K US SP3

RAF

stooges

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:53 pm

Ted Mielczarek wrote:I find word selection highly annoying. Maybe if it was a modifier key, like shift + click and drag, it would be ok. Sometimes I don't want to select entire words, and IE foils my every attempt. If you want to select an entire single word, just double click.

In IE/word it works more or less this way:
if you select a single word nothing happens;
if you select more than one word, the last and the first full words are selected;
if you start deselecting the last word (draggin back), the last full word is reselected to only the selected chars.
if you deselect way back to the first word, its full word selection is reset, and keeps this way even if you select more stuff

it's very useful imo

stooges

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 2:54 pm

RAF wrote:I'm having the same problems with the address bar... Milestone 0.4 W2K US SP3

RAF

i guess its not a problem, its just that there's this ability to drag the text, so reselecting it gets hard

Stefan

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 3:22 pm

stooges wrote:In IE/word it works more or less this way:
if you select a single word nothing happens;
if you select more than one word, the last and the first full words are selected;
if you start deselecting the last word (draggin back), the last full word is reselected to only the selected chars.
if you deselect way back to the first word, its full word selection is reset, and keeps this way even if you select more stuff

it's very useful imo

Hmm, it sure sounds like an intelligen implementation.
I would post an enhancement request bug for that in bugzilla.
It probably should be a feature used in conjunction with eg shift to turn it on/off though.

laszlo

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 8:49 pm

stooges wrote:theres also something about the address bar: when u click it it selects the whole text, then if u click again and drag it tries do drag the text, while i guess the most useful would be start a different selection, since i use a lot of editing the text on the address bar by selecting part of it. What i have to do: triple click slowly, to select all, deselect and reselect.

If you only want to select a part of the address in the location bar, just do so. You don't have to make that first click like you are used to from IE.

Word selection in the page itself is very easy (as others have already said): just double-click.

stooges

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 9:42 pm

laszlo wrote:If you only want to select a part of the address in the location bar, just do so. You don't have to make that first click like you are used to from IE.

wow! im so used to IE i didnt even tried that :) cool, very nice
laszlo wrote:Word selection in the page itself is very easy (as others have already said): just double-click.

well, but it still helps when you want to select a whole sentence, and you dont have to find the exact beginning of it with the cursor, just select any part of the first or last word and drag

shimage

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 10:56 pm

um.. i haven't been able to make it really autocomplete. that is, when i start, it drops down a list to pick matches from, but it won't actually complete the entry. is this specific to me, or is it supposed to be like that? if it is (supposed to be like that), could the pref be ported over from the mozilla prefs, cause i really liked it way back when i used a browser that did do it.

grey

Post Posted November 13th, 2002, 8:40 pm

on the other hand, how do i disable the autocompleter?

Return to Firefox Features