MozillaZine

Launch mailto links to specific mail client.

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
audioaficionado

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 11:26 pm

Opera allows me to set up a specific mail client in its option menu.

I just keyed in the full sendto.exe path for Pegasus in the hyperlink page of preferences menu. Works great with opera.

I also set phoenix up as the hyperlink client in Pegasus.

Now if I could just do that in Xnews for phoenix.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve

shoestring

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 11:44 pm

audioaficionado wrote:Opera allows me to set up a specific mail client in its option menu.

I just keyed in the full sendto.exe path for Pegasus in the hyperlink page of preferences menu. Works great with opera.

I also set phoenix up as the hyperlink client in Pegasus.

Now if I could just do that in Xnews for phoenix.

I'd like to be able to set a mail[to:] client in Phoenix ... providing it actually worked, that would solve my current problem, and would tend to make me less interested in Thunderbird ;)

Ditto for news: links. I use Free Agent and XNews both - Agent for reading and Xnews for downloading. Of course, the fact that Xnews can use multiple servers makes it more complicated, but I guess it could always default to the default ... um ... you know ...

Thumper

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 1:22 am

I don't know where everybody gets these problems. My three email apps (Foxmail, OExpress and Agent) all allow me to set them as the default mail app and clicking a mailto: in here opens a compose window in the default app. This is an email client feature, not a browser one.

- Chris

shoestring

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 1:33 am

thumperward wrote:I don't know where everybody gets these problems. My three email apps (Foxmail, OExpress and Agent) all allow me to set them as the default mail app and clicking a mailto: in here opens a compose window in the default app. This is an email client feature, not a browser one.

- Chris

Yeah.

This is <I>supposed</I> to work. It doesn't work for me, though, and now I know I am not the only one with this problem. I spent several hours the other day making sure Win98SE was updated with as many of the TLA packages as I could find (and the kitchen sink too). Then almost as many hours getting the thing to function normally again (voodoo, of course, nothing rational involved in this process).

Well, I have the latest everything now, but whatever is supposed to make this feature work, doesn't.

So I spent a bunch more time doing web searches to see if anyone else managed to resolve the problem, to no avail whatever. If anyone happens to know what the mechanism is that supposedly makes this work, please let me know!

[insert unimplemented tongue-hanging-out-in-frustration emoticon here]

Thumper

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 3:18 am

It's up to Windows to make sure that programs are registered to open specific protocol links.

Try messing around in Folder Options -> File Types in WinExplorer. That's got URL protocols in it, check to see they're set right.

- Chris

shoestring

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 4:02 am

thumperward wrote:It's up to Windows to make sure that programs are registered to open specific protocol links.

Try messing around in Folder Options -> File Types in WinExplorer. That's got URL protocols in it, check to see they're set right.

- Chris

Yes, I've been through that at least a dozen times; it's been set correctly, or at least to something plausible (an installed email client) every time.

And it doesn't work. Ever.

djst

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 5:07 am

shoestring wrote:
thumperward wrote:It's up to Windows to make sure that programs are registered to open specific protocol links.

- Chris

Yes, I've been through that at least a dozen times; it's been set correctly, or at least to something plausible (an installed email client) every time.

Every mail client has different command-lines, but if you follow the instructions in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#4.10">FAQ</a>, you'll get Mozilla Mail working allright.

Stefan

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 6:06 am

djst wrote:Every mail client has different command-lines, but if you follow the instructions in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#4.10">FAQ</a>, you'll get Mozilla Mail working allright.

BTW, you can scratch Win98SE from the list of untested OSes.

lee

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 6:21 am

thumperward wrote:I don't know where everybody gets these problems. My three email apps (Foxmail, OExpress and Agent) all allow me to set them as the default mail app and clicking a mailto: in here opens a compose window in the default app. This is an email client feature, not a browser one.

- Chris

It isn't the mailto: capability that is a problem, its the fact that there is no "send to" option under the "File" menu for sending web pages or links to others. The work arounds are obvious, but the send to option is nice.

old Neil Parks

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 7:33 am

lee wrote:It isn't the mailto: capability that is a problem, its the fact that there is no "send to" option under the "File" menu for sending web pages or links to others. The work arounds are obvious, but the send to option is nice.

I think I saw in the "roadmap" that this is scheduled to be added to 0.6.

djst

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 10:12 am

Stefan wrote:
djst wrote:Every mail client has different command-lines, but if you follow the instructions in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#4.10">FAQ</a>, you'll get Mozilla Mail working allright.

It's the exact same procedure (not just similar)? If so, I can probably remove WinMe too.

Stefan

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 11:08 am

djst wrote:
Stefan wrote:

It's the exact same procedure (not just similar)? If so, I can probably remove WinMe too.

Yepp, even down to the default folder for mozilla.exe
Can't comment on WinME however.

However the initial step is different, since there is no folder option in the controllpanel.
You find it in each window under <strong>view</strong> > folder options > [files tab]

audioaficionado

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 12:20 pm

Neil Parks wrote:
lee wrote:It isn't the mailto: capability that is a problem, its the fact that there is no "send to" option under the "File" menu for sending web pages or links to others. The work arounds are obvious, but the send to option is nice.

I think I saw in the "roadmap" that this is scheduled to be added to 0.6.

That would be great. Pegasus has a very robust feature set, but it needs an equally robust browser to compliment it. I would like that browser to be Phoenix.

I don't want to depend on windoze of any flavor, but I want it to be scripted right from the client software.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve

shoestring

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 10:55 pm

djst wrote:
shoestring wrote:Yes, I've been through that at least a dozen times; it's been set correctly, or at least to something plausible (an installed email client) every time.

Every mail client has different command-lines, but if you follow the instructions in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#4.10">FAQ</a>, you'll get Mozilla Mail working allright.

I wish :( ...

I finally gave in and d/led Mozilla (latest stable version, I think 10/12?), went through all the shenanigans, and it still doesn't work -- not even when I have Mozilla mail open in another window.

Seems to me that whatever is responsible in Windows for making this work, it's broken on my system. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out what it is that's broken.

The only combination I can get to work is NS4 and Eudora3 ... and that's because Eudora3 has some way of intercepting NS4 mailto:s ... sure wish I knew how this worked.

shoestring

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 5:07 am

<I>I have made the most astounding discovery, but the margin of this page is too small to ...</I>

Oops, sorry, got carried away for a moment.

'Twould appear that perhaps all my <B>mailto:</B> problems are due to a missing registry key. I ran a registry monitor program (to determine which API Phoenix was trying to hand off the mailto:s to), and found this:

46.93600800 Phoenix OpenKey HKCR\CLSID\{EDB0E980-90BD-11D4-8599-0008C7D3B6F8}\InProcServer32 NOTFOUND

(kinda mangled by reflow, but there it is ... there definitely is no such key in my registry. Do any of you good people have a clue as to how I can repair this? I have to admit, I don't fully understand the implications here ...

shoestring wrote:
djst wrote:
shoestring wrote:Yes, I've been through that at least a dozen times; it's been set correctly, or at least to something plausible (an installed email client) every time.

I wish :( ...

I finally gave in and d/led Mozilla (latest stable version, I think 10/12?), went through all the shenanigans, and it still doesn't work -- not even when I have Mozilla mail open in another window.

Seems to me that whatever is responsible in Windows for making this work, it's broken on my system. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out what it is that's broken.

The only combination I can get to work is NS4 and Eudora3 ... and that's because Eudora3 has some way of intercepting NS4 mailto:s ... sure wish I knew how this worked.

Return to Firefox Features