MozillaZine

enable/disable java option removed why ?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Bethrezen

Post Posted March 13th, 2010, 7:32 pm

hi

I was just looking over the latest version of firefox and I noticed that the ability to enable/disable java within Firefox has been removed and I'd like to ask why because removing security features detracts from security which seems a little counter intuitive why would you want to make firefox less secure ? am I missing something here ?

Bluefang

Post Posted March 13th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Java is now treated as a regular plugin. It can be enabled and disabled just like any other plugin (Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins).
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

Bethrezen

Post Posted March 13th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Java is now treated as a regular plugin. It can be enabled and disabled just like any other plugin (Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins).

ahh I see makes sence

question why is there no option to un-install plugins ? I know for some plug-ins like flash and java you can just go to the add and remove panel and get rid of them that way but not all plug-ins provide an un-install function like that and it can be a real pain in the backside trying to remove them manually

silverlight is one particularly troublesome plug-in that comes to mind which I had to rip out manually as I couldn't find any way to turn it off or remove it as there was no option to un-install in add and removed panel and the disable button was grayed out

Bozz

Post Posted March 14th, 2010, 3:06 am

I noticed that the ability to enable/disable java within Firefox

silverlight is one particularly troublesome plug-in that comes to mind which I had to rip out manually as I couldn't find any way to turn it off

See: QuickJava 1.7.1
Allows quick enable and disable of Java, Javascript, Flash, Silverlight and Images
Thunderbird/Daily/40.0a1

Lee_Dailey

Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post Posted March 14th, 2010, 2:58 pm

howdy Bozz,

i had given up on that being updated! thanks for making me go back and check it out. i'll be testing it RSN. the "Updated March 10, 2010" note is encouraging.

take care,
lee

Bozz

Post Posted March 14th, 2010, 3:23 pm

You're welcome.
Thunderbird/Daily/40.0a1

James

Post Posted March 14th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Bethrezen wrote:question why is there no option to un-install plugins ? I know for some plug-ins like flash and java you can just go to the add and remove panel and get rid of them that way but not all plug-ins provide an un-install function like that and it can be a real pain in the backside trying to remove them manually

Well the Plugins may not even be installed in Plugins folder with Firefox to start with. Before Firefox did not even have the ability to disable/enable the use of the compatible Plugins it detects as one had to use about:plugins to see what Firefox detects and is using.
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

Handle With Care

Post Posted March 16th, 2010, 3:57 pm

I'd still like to see the Java enable/disable returned to the Tools/Options/Content tab, whether or not it is also in the plugins. It's a lot more convenient and easier to use there.
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 37.0.2; Tb 31.6.0.
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET; irc.eversible.com

Bluefang

Post Posted March 16th, 2010, 9:32 pm

IMHO no it's not. It's the same number of clicks to get the job done, and it with the rest of the plugins (it is a plugin after all). Having the option in 2 places is just confusing.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

teoli2003

Post Posted March 17th, 2010, 1:57 am

If I want to disable a plugin, it is logical to go to the plugins panels. To find it elsewhere is confusing and bloating the preferences panel. And it is the same number of click.

So I sure don't want to see it put back where it was. And I bet the devs will never do that.

Handle With Care

Post Posted March 17th, 2010, 11:08 am

Bluefang wrote:IMHO no it's not. It's the same number of clicks to get the job done, and it with the rest of the plugins (it is a plugin after all). Having the option in 2 places is just confusing.

Unfortunately, most of the places I visit that require one, also require both Java -AND- Javascript. It would be much more convenient to have both options in one place as it has been since before the beginning (throughout the history of Firefox until now and going back to all iterations of Netscape). When did this become such a major issue after all these years?
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 37.0.2; Tb 31.6.0.
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET; irc.eversible.com

Bluefang

Post Posted March 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Because the entire Plugin system is being re-factored, expectantly when related to Java. The Java plugin used to have it's own special plugin API, not it uses the standard API. A lot of Java specific code has been removed (no longer needed) so there's no longer a need to have a special way to enable/disable the plugin.

And as Bozz mentioned, you can use the QuickJava extension.

the-edmeister

Post Posted March 23rd, 2010, 1:49 am

Having the disable "switch" for Java in Options made sense is the days before there even was an Addons > Plugins window, like in Firefox 2 and earlier versions.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Return to Firefox Features