MozillaZine

Bookmarks toolbar and Tab Bar

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 6:48 am

I am extremely disappointed in FF 3.5. When I loaded it onto a new laptop and customized my bookmark toolbar to the way I like it (such as to put the Wiki search bar and a bunch of my commands there), I discovered that my website bookmarks become a dropdown menu and their names no longer sit up there for me to choose (it seems the Wiki search bar won't shrink its size so it crowds the other bookmarks into a dropdown menu which didn't used to happen), which I thought was the point of having them on the bookmark toolbar in the first place. As for the tab bar, for some reason if you only have one window up, you don't get the x in the corner which allows you to close that tab without exiting FF or putting up a second tab. What petty and unnecessary changes. When I discovered all this on my desktop pc, I reloaded FF 3.0.15 and I'm sticking with it until hopefully someone changes things to be more consistent with the way they were. Pointless changes just for the sake of change are a disservice to FF's users. If it weren't for these unacceptable annoyances, I'd be happy to use 3.5 to reap the benefit of its improvements. :(

dfoulkes

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 9:17 am

If the Wiki toolbar (not a Mozilla product) does not shrink for a smaller screens such as a laptop and/or for FF3.5, I would then think that your disappointments would be with Wiki's product.. not Mozilla. As for the X on a "last" tab you might want to see if this extension works for you...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12991
...or this... Tab Mix Plus also has options for various Tab controls...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122

What petty and unnecessary changes. When I discovered all this on my desktop pc, I reloaded FF 3.0.15 and I'm sticking with it until hopefully someone changes things to be more consistent with the way they were. Pointless changes just for the sake of change are a disservice to FF's users. If it weren't for these unacceptable annoyances, I'd be happy to use 3.5 to reap the benefit of its improvements. :(

Don't hold your breath for "someone changes things to be ...." "Your" point of view about Pointless and disservice will be found to be in a very, very small group, if that. I'm sure that the first person to use the push-button starter on a car as opposed to the hand-crank probably said the same type of things.

Options abound for users to modify their FF to their liking... the best way to accomplish that is to ask for help with those modifications (if possible to make)...

I in fact use this extension so that I can get many more bookmarks-toolbar "bookmarks" on that bar...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4072
and there are others...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 10:36 am

Well, the programmers could have left the features I like as options to choose, you know. That would have been nice. As for the push button starter vs hand crank, I don't see them as the same issue. One implies a resistance to change, and the other is a case of having a good feature removed for no good reason that I can see. Surely it is easier to leave something harmless in than to expend the effort to take it out. As for the Wiki bar mentioned above it also can be used for google, dictionaries and a host of other stuff, and has appeared on every version of FF that I've used for years. I am surprised that it is not a mozilla product. Well, thanks for the links, I'll try them out.

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 11:22 am

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12991 <-- for your problem with not having a close button if there's only one tab

The search bar does not appear to be resizable unless it is one side or the other of the address bar. I can offer you some assistance on that particular problem if you would like. Anywho... since it is not resizable unless paired next to the address bar, it expands to whatever set width, which then crowds out the rest of that toolbar, causing the bookmarks to reduce to the menu style. Unfortunate, yes. But entirely "fixable".

If the developers left an option to go back to the previous style/function for every new or enhanced feature, Firefox would become a mess of options and become much harder to trouble shoot when problems arise.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 12:30 pm

I presently have the search bar next to the address bar on the navigation toolbar but I don't really like it there. I'd appreciate knowing how to resize it for the bookmark toolbar. I've tried using the spacers from the customize function on either side of it, or putting other toolbar items to the right of it, or moving my bookmark items to either side, and none of them caused it to resize. If you would like to share how to resize it with me, I'd be grateful.

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 12:40 pm

You can use this in your userChrome.css file:
Code: Select all
#searchbar {
  min-width: 200px !important;
}

Adjust the 200 to whatever value you need to get it to work best for you. But, please do note that if you have a lot of bookmarks on the toolbar, sooner or later, you'll run out of room and you'll get the menu rather than the buttons for your bookmarks.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css <-- instructions for using that little bit of code
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Ooh, I'm quite advanced for an amateur, but I've never gone into the config files and changed code. This may be a little too intimidating for me. I'd be afraid of screwing something up and not knowing how to fix it. I just looked at your link on how to do it, and it is full of unknown territory!! I even understand what you're telling it to do in the code you've showed me, but as for doing it myself...!!! I think I've just hit a bar that is too high for me to jump. Thanks for the help.

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Not to worry! That file is pretty innocuous, and if you do manage to screw it up, it's easily removed. You aren't messing with any internals, you are adjusting the style of the interface.

If you think it's too much, install the Stylish extension. Once it is installed, open Tools -> Addons. Find the User Styles section. Click the Write New Style button and use this for the contents:
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#searchbar {
    }

Make sure and give the style a name (something like "Resize the Search Bar" and hit the Preview button. Then adjust the min-width to whatever looks best to you (keep checking by using that Preview button). Once you are satisfied, press the Save button. Done. :D

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2108
http://userstyles.org/

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Would that be Stylish 1.0.7 by Jason Barnabe?

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 2:04 pm

That'd be the one, yep.

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 2:27 pm

I was just looking around at the chrome files. There are two. One is in the profile which in windows 7 is in App Data/roaming/mozilla/firefox/Profiles/profile name/chrome. The other is in C://Program files/Mozilla Firefox/chrome . If I understand the instructions correctly, I should be creating a userchrome.css file in the appdata profile chrome folder...am I correct? Right now there is a userchrome-example.css file in there. Once I create the userchrome.css file, Then I would put the code in that you showed me, and then just change the 200 px in your code string above to possibly 100, which would give me a minimum length if I understand it all correctly, but would not create a fixed length but allow a longer one if it fits? What length would you think would be good...I would think either 100 or 75 (I only have two bookmarks that I want up there)...please make a suggestion. If I understand all this correctly, I can't believe I am going to try it. I will wait for you to tell me if I have the right idea on how to do it. Wish me luck.

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Yes, in the AppData folder. Also note the file is called userChrome.css and not userchrome.css - note the Capital C.

Just remove the -example part and you can then edit that file with Notepad or Wordpad.

Put the code I gave you at the bottom of the file (under the @namespace line). Then save the file and restart Firefox.

If you go the Stylish route, you don't need to close Firefox and restart. The changes are automatically applied. It saves a step (or two or ten depending on how many times you need to try a different value).

I had to use min-width because just using width wasn't doing anything. I don't know enough CSS to understand why that is. I just know it worked. :D

Lainie

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I looked in my userChrome-example.css file and it mentions a @namespace line in an instructional way but doesn't seem to actually have one to put my code underneath, if that makes any sense. If I create a new ucerChrome.css file in notepad, should I then create the @namespace line before I try to do the code? I am a little confused at how this is going to work. If this is asking too much, I can wait and do some research before trying anything. I'm a little bit on brain overload right now and need to process all this information because I don't think I'm taking it in anymore. Perhaps another day soon I can get in touch with you and I can finish this lesson. Thank you so much for all your help.

smsmith

Post Posted December 16th, 2009, 3:35 pm

If you create your own file, do it like this:

Right click in your Windows Explorer window, choose New -> Text Document. Leave the name as New Text Document.txt for now.
Double click the file and it should open in Notepad (the default text editor unless you changed it). Paste in this:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#searchbar {
        }

Save the file and close it.
Rename the file to userChrome.css and hit the OK button when you get the warning about changing the file extension type.

Close and restart Firefox to see the changes.

If you need to edit the file again, right click it and choose the Open With option and choose Notepad but don't tell it to always open CSS file types with Notepad if that option is given to you (it may not be). Make your edits and save the file - you don't need to close it. Then restart Firefox to see how the change works for you.

Lainie

Post Posted December 17th, 2009, 4:45 am

I did all of the above and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The search bar doesn't shrink when I put it on the bookmarks toolbar. I took the number down to 50 (after trying first 100 and then 75) from 200 and it didn't seem to make any difference. I was wondering if I should have instructed FF to select the new file for use or if I ought to delete the userChrome-example.css file in case it is confusing things...

To recap what I did:

Open the FF Profile folder in App Data, open notepad, copy paste the instructions from your last post, change the number in the code, rename the file userChrome.css, save it, close it, reopen FF, customize the bookmark toolbar by moving the search bar to it, and then view the result. The result was that there was no change in the way the toolbar functioned.

I'd be grateful to hear from you again about this when you get a chance.

Thanks again.

Return to Firefox Features