MozillaZine

new window opens to current website

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
nate034

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 6:07 pm

let me explain why i would like to see this IE feature as an option.
when im at a site and i want to go back, say to the google search that brought me to the site, but i also want to keep the current site, i try pressing new window, which in IE, i could then keep the new site and click "back" on the old window to take me back to google

basicly opening a new window from google would solve the problem, but i dont know the site will be usefull

yeah this doesnt make much sense but its hard to describe these sort of things.. if not this it would be cool if a new window kept the "back" button memory of the current site

ps phoenix is amazing, havent had to use IE since 0.2 came out etc etc
thanks for reading

-nate

flii

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 6:14 pm

i know what you mean, and some sort of option for this would be nice. i would use it, and i used it on ie all the time. :) didn't think many other people did. it's nice to know i'm not the only one!

ehume

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 7:08 pm

This is one of the very few things I miss from IE--and the only thing I miss on a regular basis.

Thank you for raising it as a desired feature.

NB--what makes the IE feature valuable is not only that it comes up on the same page, but also retains the same backward and forward histories of the original window.

Ed

benp@marketing.net.uk

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:07 pm

I'd really like to see this too -- obviously not just for new windows but for new tabs too.

flii

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:38 pm

benp@marketing.net.uk wrote:I'd really like to see this too -- obviously not just for new windows but for new tabs too.

yes, the new tabs with the current window's history would be even better. i'm almost fully converted to using tabs, and there have been numerous times i've wished for this feature. do any of you know if there's an rfe on this already?

laszlo

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:46 pm

Hmm, perhaps something like... this:

Bug 18808 - New windows/tabs should inherit current page, back button/go menu history

It was originally filed over three years ago.

flii

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 5:52 pm

yes i think this bug is it. i'm worried about that 3-year thing... hopefully this won't be another wontfix. i really liked this feature of ie. :( i'll have to read through the whole thing when i get more than a couple mins free. it's quite long.

wizard518

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 9:24 pm

Here's a way to do it. Install Tabbed Browsing Extension, then find your prefs.js file and add (or modify) the line below:

user_pref("browser.tabs.extensions.startup.page", 2);

Then, when you open a new tab, it will open to the page of your current tab.

laszlo

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 9:36 pm

wizard518 wrote:Here's a way to do it. Install Tabbed Browsing Extension, then find your prefs.js file and add (or modify) the line below:

user_pref("browser.tabs.extensions.startup.page", 2);

Then, when you open a new tab, it will open to the page of your current tab.

Don't wanna be picky, but this setting is also reachable by the pref panel (Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing > Advanced > When a New Tab is opened, display: Last page visited). You can also pick "Duplicate Tab" from the context menu to get this, but the point is that there's no method to inherit the history in a new tab/window.

Return to Firefox Features