MozillaZine

Tabbed Browsing

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Just_a_Character
 
Posts: 11
Joined: November 28th, 2002, 9:49 pm

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 9:24 pm

I'm an Opera user who recently got attracted to Phoenix as an alternative. Although Operas is still a tad faster than Phoenix, I believe Phoenix has great future ahead, and most possibly become my primary browser. Howver, I do have some questions and requests:

1. Can someone point out to me the use of open in a new window if you actually have tabbed browsing? I get annoyed often due to having to middle click to open in a new tab. It feels as if tabbed browsing is just an addon feature instead of fully integrated within the browser. I don't want to troll, so I'm asking if someone actually can point out how useful it is to still have open in a new window. Tabbed browsing makes browfing more efficient , and open in a new window is still good, but having both is just plain annoyance IMHO.

2. Can we have the shortcut Shift + Clicking on the tab = Closing the tab?

3. Can we have "Duplicate tab/window"?

4. How about accept all popup windows, but send them to a new tab in the background (like Opera)

That's all for now (great toolbar customisation implementation, btw). Cheers.

laszlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 5198
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:13 pm
Location: .de

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 9:47 pm

Just_a_Character wrote:1. Can someone point out to me the use of open in a new window if you actually have tabbed browsing? I get annoyed often due to having to middle click to open in a new tab. It feels as if tabbed browsing is just an addon feature instead of fully integrated within the browser. I don't want to troll, so I'm asking if someone actually can point out how useful it is to still have open in a new window. Tabbed browsing makes browfing more efficient , and open in a new window is still good, but having both is just plain annoyance IMHO.

Just one example: Some people like to group their open pages on more than one level. One tabbed window for development, another one for news etc.

Just_a_Character wrote:2. Can we have the shortcut Shift + Clicking on the tab = Closing the tab?

It's even easier: you can middle-click to close a tab.

Just_a_Character wrote:3. Can we have "Duplicate tab/window"?

4. How about accept all popup windows, but send them to a new tab in the background (like Opera)

Just install the Tabbrowser Extensions for these and a lot more useful features related to tabs.

AtomB

User avatar
 
Posts: 312
Joined: November 8th, 2002, 12:22 am

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 10:27 pm

laszlo wrote:It's even easier: you can middle-click to close a tab.


i feel like such an idiot for not figuring this out on my own. no more right clicking on inactive tabs for me.

thanks for pointing this out.

man i really need to read the features forum more often.

Zaphod

User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: November 22nd, 2002, 12:07 am
Location: Munich, DE\Europe

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 4:50 am

AtomB wrote:
laszlo wrote:It's even easier: you can middle-click to close a tab.


i feel like such an idiot for not figuring this out on my own. no more right clicking on inactive tabs for me.

thanks for pointing this out.

man i really need to read the features forum more often.


Hehe ... its a nice feature, eh? ;-)
By the way: When you double click on a tab, you can adjust an automatic refresh of this.

Zap -Not sure if you already know this- hod

jcmkk
 
Posts: 29
Joined: November 30th, 2002, 2:15 pm

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 2:20 pm

I was a long time opera user also when I first switched to Mozilla almost a year ago. At first, I really hated the fact that I had to use the middle mouse button to open a window in a tab instead of a new window. Now, that is one of my favorite features of Mozilla/Phoenix. Just deal with the ackward (for an Opera user) behavior of the tabs at first, then if you don't like them, I think the tabs extension will allow you to make Phoenix behave like Opera.

shimage
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:39 am

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 10:36 pm

jcmkk wrote:I was a long time opera user also when I first switched to Mozilla almost a year ago. At first, I really hated the fact that I had to use the middle mouse button to open a window in a tab instead of a new window. Now, that is one of my favorite features of Mozilla/Phoenix. Just deal with the ackward (for an Opera user) behavior of the tabs at first, then if you don't like them, I think the tabs extension will allow you to make Phoenix behave like Opera.

not everything. i don't believe that you can change ctrl-tab to go to the last viewed tab or bind a hotkey to swap the "new tab in foreground/background" behavior. it would appear, though, that most people don't care about that functionality.

laszlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 5198
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:13 pm
Location: .de

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 11:04 pm

On the other hand they give you a lot of features that not even Opera has. You can handle tabs as groups, you can lock and unlock tabs, you can have tab-specific permissions for javascript, graphics, frames, plugins, refresh etc. Another feature that I sorely miss everytime I use Opera is that I can drag links and highlighted unlinked URLs to the tab bar in Phoenix to open them in a new or an existing tab.

shimage
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:39 am

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 11:44 pm

i never said that phoenix didn't have functionality not found in opera. indeed, that's why i'm using phoenix. all i said was that if you <i>are</i> migrating from opera, however, you can't get <i>everything</i> that you had before with respect to tabs (features which, apparently, only i use). some of that extra stuff in phoenix is useful, but most of it isn't for me. eg, i still don't get why being able to drag a link to the tab bar is useful, but if you find it to be so, more power to you.

laszlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 5198
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:13 pm
Location: .de

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 11:33 am

shimage wrote:[...] eg, i still don't get why being able to drag a link to the tab bar is useful, but if you find it to be so, more power to you.

That's easy to explain. What are you doing in Opera 7 when you encounter an unlinked URL on a page and you want to open it? You mark it by dragging your mouse over it, you right-click, select "Copy Text", click the address bar, change to the keyboard, hit Ctrl+Ins or Ctrl+V, then enter. If you want to open it in a new tab you additionally have to double-click the tab bar or hit Ctrl+N. Six resp. seven steps involved here.

In Moz/Phoenix I double-click the URL and drag it to an existing tab or to an empty spot on the tab bar. Two steps.

alanjstr
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 9100
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 4:43 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 11:54 am

shimage wrote:i never said that phoenix didn't have functionality not found in opera. indeed, that's why i'm using phoenix. all i said was that if you <i>are</i> migrating from opera, however, you can't get <i>everything</i> that you had before with respect to tabs (features which, apparently, only i use). some of that extra stuff in phoenix is useful, but most of it isn't for me. eg, i still don't get why being able to drag a link to the tab bar is useful, but if you find it to be so, more power to you.


http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#textlinks

Killmaster
 
Posts: 58
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 5:08 pm

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 10:39 pm

Just_a_Character wrote:1. Can someone point out to me the use of open in a new window if you actually have tabbed browsing? I get annoyed often due to having to middle click to open in a new tab. It feels as if tabbed browsing is just an addon feature instead of fully integrated within the browser. I don't want to troll, so I'm asking if someone actually can point out how useful it is to still have open in a new window. Tabbed browsing makes browfing more efficient , and open in a new window is still good, but having both is just plain annoyance IMHO.


Us dual monitor folks find it useful to have multiple windows open.

shimage
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:39 am

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 12:51 am

alanjstr wrote:
shimage wrote:i never said that phoenix didn't have functionality not found in opera. indeed, that's why i'm using phoenix. all i said was that if you <i>are</i> migrating from opera, however, you can't get <i>everything</i> that you had before with respect to tabs (features which, apparently, only i use). some of that extra stuff in phoenix is useful, but most of it isn't for me. eg, i still don't get why being able to drag a link to the tab bar is useful, but if you find it to be so, more power to you.


http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#textlinks

you lost me...

Stefan

User avatar
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 2:46 am

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 6:48 am

shimage wrote:not everything. i don't believe that you can change ctrl-tab to go to the last viewed tab


No, but in Opera you can't switch to Phoenix'es "linear" ctrl+tab behaviour either.
It's just a difference in implementation, either you do a "linera" or a "latest".
And I must say I much prefer the "linear" way to do it.

BTW, ironically Opera 7beta uses "linear" ctrl+tab just as Phoenix...

or bind a hotkey to swap the "new tab in foreground/background" behavior. it would appear, though, that most people don't care about that functionality.


Well to BIND a hotkey is probably not interesting for most people no.
The 'swap the "new tab in foreground/background" behavior' however is definitly available...
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/mouse.html

alanjstr
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 9100
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 4:43 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 7:18 am

shimage wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
shimage wrote:i never said that phoenix didn't have functionality not found in opera. indeed, that's why i'm using phoenix. all i said was that if you <i>are</i> migrating from opera, however, you can't get <i>everything</i> that you had before with respect to tabs (features which, apparently, only i use). some of that extra stuff in phoenix is useful, but most of it isn't for me. eg, i still don't get why being able to drag a link to the tab bar is useful, but if you find it to be so, more power to you.


http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#textlinks

you lost me...


This extension makes it possible to right-click on a non-clickable URL and select open it as if it was a link.

shimage
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:39 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 2:11 pm

Stefan wrote:
shimage wrote:not everything. i don't believe that you can change ctrl-tab to go to the last viewed tab


No, but in Opera you can't switch to Phoenix'es "linear" ctrl+tab behaviour either.
It's just a difference in implementation, either you do a "linera" or a "latest".
And I must say I much prefer the "linear" way to do it.

BTW, ironically Opera 7beta uses "linear" ctrl+tab just as Phoenix...

or bind a hotkey to swap the "new tab in foreground/background" behavior. it would appear, though, that most people don't care about that functionality.


Well to BIND a hotkey is probably not interesting for most people no.
The 'swap the "new tab in foreground/background" behavior' however is definitly available...
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/mouse.html

that was already suggested to me in another thread. i've tried, and it doesn't work on either of my machines (win2k and winxp). i'm not sure why...

Return to Firefox Features


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest