MozillaZine

Antialiasing fonts in phoenix

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
kbgaddis
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 10th, 2002, 3:48 pm

Post Posted November 10th, 2002, 4:00 pm

Is anyone else having trouble getting fonts to antialias in Phoenix under linux? I'm using the Nov. 8 nightly, and I can't seem to get them to work as in moz. Anyone know if its possible at this point, or have any suggestions for doing so?

asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted November 10th, 2002, 4:15 pm

kbgaddis wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting fonts to antialias in Phoenix under linux? I'm using the Nov. 8 nightly, and I can't seem to get them to work as in moz. Anyone know if its possible at this point, or have any suggestions for doing so?


build phoenix with --enable-xft

--Asa

kbgaddis
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 10th, 2002, 3:48 pm

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 12:07 pm

asa wrote:build phoenix with --enable-xft

--Asa


I've followed the build instructions that i was able to find (all of them consolidated boiled down to the set found at http://arcade.ragweed.net/phoenix.html) with the following in my mozoptions:

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-strip-libs
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=i686"
ac_add_options --enable-xft

When building, however, I get an error in gfx/src/gtk/nsFontMetricsXft.h:

In file included from nsGfxFactoryGTK.cpp:65:
nsFontMetricsXft.h:248: syntax error before `*' token

The line in question is a declaration for a variable:
FcPattern *mPattern;

I've tried to track it down and fix it myself, with very little success. This stuff is out of cvs; has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

lar3ry

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:27 pm

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 1:19 pm

kbgaddis wrote:I've followed the build instructions that i was able to find (all of them consolidated boiled down to the set found at http://arcade.ragweed.net/phoenix.html) with the following in my mozoptions:

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-strip-libs
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=i686"
ac_add_options --enable-xft

When building, however, I get an error in gfx/src/gtk/nsFontMetricsXft.h:


I build anti-aliased regularly (at least once every twenty-four hours), and have had no problems, and I used the instructions at ragweed.net (thanks, John!). My system is Linux running RedHat 8.0. The only difference between your .mozconfig and mine is that I build with --enable-optimize="-Os -march=i686" (optimizing for size). I doubt that this would be an issue; if so, you might be exposing a gcc bug.

I wish you luck with your anti-aliased build. The fonts are so much better (I have literally thousands of TrueType fonts to select from) than using the font server.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson

kbgaddis
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 10th, 2002, 3:48 pm

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 3:56 pm

lar3ry wrote:
I build anti-aliased regularly (at least once every twenty-four hours), and have had no problems, and I used the instructions at ragweed.net (thanks, John!). My system is Linux running RedHat 8.0. The only difference between your .mozconfig and mine is that I build with --enable-optimize="-Os -march=i686" (optimizing for size). I doubt that this would be an issue; if so, you might be exposing a gcc bug.

I wish you luck with your anti-aliased build. The fonts are so much better (I have literally thousands of TrueType fonts to select from) than using the font server.


Thanks for replying.... Are you running stock packages for XFree86, gnome, etc, or compiled from scratch? I'm starting to wonder if something isn't missing somewhere. I've installed the fontconfig stuff from fontconfig.org, but it doesn't seem to help.

lar3ry

User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:27 pm

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 6:20 pm

kbgaddis wrote:Thanks for replying.... Are you running stock packages for XFree86, gnome, etc, or compiled from scratch? I'm starting to wonder if something isn't missing somewhere. I've installed the fontconfig stuff from fontconfig.org, but it doesn't seem to help.

Stock RedHat 8.0 plus all updates except galeon and Mozilla since I prefer to run the Xft version of Mozilla, and RH's galeon depends on an OLD version of Mozilla.

Specifically, fontconfig was supplied by RH 8.0, and was automatically installed. I added a "fonts" directory with all my TrueType fonts, which is read both by fontconfig and the xfs font server (for those programs I run that aren't Xft enabled).
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson

michel v

User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 8:54 am
Location: Corsica

Post Posted November 12th, 2002, 5:33 pm

I had the same problem with Mozilla when trying to build with Xft.
The syntax error is because the building process is using outdated header files that do not define a type that is defined by newer header files.

Basically, you should 'locate Xft.h' (and other related header files), then check each of them and replace the old ones with the newest one.

kbgaddis
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 10th, 2002, 3:48 pm

Post Posted November 12th, 2002, 7:35 pm

michel v wrote:I had the same problem with Mozilla when trying to build with Xft.
The syntax error is because the building process is using outdated header files that do not define a type that is defined by newer header files.

Basically, you should 'locate Xft.h' (and other related header files), then check each of them and replace the old ones with the newest one.


Thanks for the tip! I found an entire Xft directory in the source package, under mozilla/other-licenses/Xft... i don't know if i killed anything yet, but i just copied it to my /usr/X11R6/include dir and it seemed to fix the problem. hopefully this will solve the problem. perhaps i should enter a bug for moz to compile against the cvs installation instead of system installation?

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests