MozillaZine

Upgrading to newest nightly

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mattcoz

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 11:17 pm

What's the easiest way to retain my settings and extensions when upgrading to new nightlies?

I'd like to keep upgrading but it is a pain to do everything over again every time.

Stefan

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 2:18 am

mattcoz wrote:What's the easiest way to retain my settings and extensions when upgrading to new nightlies?

I'd like to keep upgrading but it is a pain to do everything over again every time.

Just unzip the new version in the same folder as the last.
However DONT report bugs or complain about nonworking featires until you have tried with a clean install.

ishopnude_com

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 8:29 am

I normally just unzip Phoenix "on top" of the currently installed version. (I always did this with Mozilla as well.) If I have(had) any problem then I would wipe the directory and install again. If I still had an issue, then I would investigate Bugzilla and ultimately report a bug if I didn't find a dupe. One thing that I have found(annoying at that) is that the themes and extensions need to be reinstalled after an upgrade. Sometimes.. some of the themes seem to install into the profile and they are there after an upgrade. My hope is that eventually, this will be the case with all of the themes AND extensions. In the meantime, I just keep a copy of the themes and extensions to reinstall.

Stefan

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 9:27 am

ishopnude_com wrote: If I have(had) any problem then I would wipe the directory and install again.

That is NOT enough. You need to remove the profilesdir too or make sure you use a new empty profile. Don't report bugs or complain on the forum before trying that.

mattcoz

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 11:34 am

I did that and it totally screwed up my installation, so I had to wipe everything clean. I was hoping there was something else I could do, oh well.

Stefan

Post Posted November 9th, 2002, 12:20 pm

mattcoz wrote:I did that and it totally screwed up my installation, so I had to wipe everything clean. I was hoping there was something else I could do, oh well.

The reason you have to start from scratch is that phoenix is in very ealry beta stages and alot of things keep changing.
It will get better down the line.

Return to Firefox General