MozillaZine

FF Portable Addons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Roderunner

Post Posted September 7th, 2019, 2:45 am

Hi Folks, I have FF Portable latest version on an external HDD. It has 3 addons that show on the address bar.
If I make a copy on my pc's desktop the addons disappear but are still seen in Tools>Addons.
Regards
George

Brummelchen

Post Posted September 7th, 2019, 3:54 am

its a known issue since firefox moved to dedicated profiles and affects "addonStartup.json.lz4". John T Haller reported it in July and modified its starter to delete that file on startup. but for reason you need to start firefox portable twice! this happens for ANY system change when the path for the portable moves. that absolute path are put into that file and no longer valid after change.

https://portableapps.com/node/60496

there exist currently no solution because of mozilla exclusive lz4 format. if, then maybe only applicable for windows.
same question appeared in the german forum, same "solution"

comment: anyhow it makes no sense to use a portable@home, in special never for a removable drive.
Last edited by Brummelchen on September 7th, 2019, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderunner

Post Posted September 7th, 2019, 5:26 am

Hi Brummelchen, I though it was because my account was added using my other pc. So I copied it to another thumbdrive and tried to run it on my other pc. I also copied it to the other pc's desktop. in both cases the addons were hidden.
I have another copy of FF portable on another portable hdd, which runs ok from the portable hdd and when copied to the desktop of my pc. Will take a copy and try it on my Laptop, which was the location of the first instance.
Thanks.
Regards
George

Return to Firefox General