MozillaZine

Password managers . . .

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Bruce L.

Post Posted June 26th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Hi: Using a password manager has occurred to me from time to time, but haven't done it yet. I have a couple of questions about them. (I'm using W10 and the latest Firefox).

I have not been able to find the answers to these questions:

I realize this probably isn't the most secure thing, but when I start my browser I have it set to open all tabs back up to where they were, and I stay signed in to most forums (except bank, etc.). Can I do the same thing with PM or will I have to sign in to each site when I open the browser?

Also, I realize that PMs will generate passwords for you, but is this a choice or will it do it automatically for each of my regular sites?

Maybe these questions cannot be applied to all PMs, but I am looking at "Last Pass" or "Bitwarden." TIA for any help! :mrgreen:

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

A good password manager should be able recognize the login fields for a web page and automatically enter the appropriate data for you. However you have to setup how it recognizes that. Its usually easy though it may take a couple of minutes the first time you do that.

Its normally a option whether to generate a new password using the password manager. I never felt comfortable letting a password manager automate changing the password. Letting it choose a different value is a different story.

I used KeePass 2.x for a while and found it reliable/useful. If you want to consider it I'd look at a cross platform fork of it called KeePassXC. I haven't used LastPass, BitWarden etc since I don't want to store my passwords in the cloud and found using cookies (plus a good cookie manager add-on like Cookie AutoDelete) worked better for me. Same reason why I never used Firefox Sync.

https://shivering-isles.com/password-sa ... ss-vs-pass might be useful

Bruce L.

Post Posted June 27th, 2019, 12:44 pm

tanstaafl wrote:A good password manager should be able recognize the login fields for a web page and automatically enter the appropriate data for you. However you have to setup how it recognizes that. Its usually easy though it may take a couple of minutes the first time you do that.

Its normally a option whether to generate a new password using the password manager. I never felt comfortable letting a password manager automate changing the password. Letting it choose a different value is a different story.

I used KeePass 2.x for a while and found it reliable/useful. If you want to consider it I'd look at a cross platform fork of it called KeePassXC. I haven't used LastPass, BitWarden etc since I don't want to store my passwords in the cloud and found using cookies (plus a good cookie manager add-on like Cookie AutoDelete) worked better for me. Same reason why I never used Firefox Sync.

https://shivering-isles.com/password-sa ... ss-vs-pass might be useful

Thanks for the reply. I will dig into all this in a day or two. :D

FFman

Post Posted June 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

I have been using RoboForm since 2005.
I have tried all the popular ones but always stay with RF.
If you want to sync across devices (I don't) RF obviously uses the cloud but if you don't, RF can keep everything locally on a PC.
I use a tool in RF to generate my own passwords.
I don't think RF has the option of changing passwords itself, I wouldn't use it anyway.
You can set an option for RF to automatically popup when it recognises a website to fill in and you then just click a button to fill in.
I don't use that, instead I right-click the webpage and select Fill Forms and RF fills the form.
The non-sync option, i.e. just local PC, is free for any number of websites.
BTW I have no connection with RF!! :-)

Catman51

Post Posted June 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I've been using RoboForm for years, just discovered Bitwarden. So far testing it out, seems good, and less expensive.
Steve M

FFman

Post Posted June 29th, 2019, 12:46 am

Catman51 wrote:I've been using RoboForm for years, just discovered Bitwarden. So far testing it out, seems good, and less expensive.
RF is free for the non-sync use.
Bitwarden has a free version as well.
I'll have a look at it, out of curiosity.

EDIT:
I've checked Bitwarden and it looks like it always uses the cloud (unless you use your own server) so I'll stay with RF.

dickvl

Post Posted June 30th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Catman51

Post Posted July 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm

Did you read the Lockwise reviews. I will wait on that one to get better.
Steve M

WaltS48

Post Posted July 1st, 2019, 3:21 pm

Did you know Firefox may get a random password generator.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-to-get-a-random-password-generator-like-chrome/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Bruce L.

Post Posted July 2nd, 2019, 7:36 pm

WaltS48 wrote:Did you know Firefox may get a random password generator.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-to-get-a-random-password-generator-like-chrome/

Hey, great. Thanks!

I'll wait for that. :D

Return to Firefox General