MozillaZine

Multiple extensions for blocking undesired content

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Anakunda

Post Posted June 8th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Hiyas, I'm currently using since historic times multiple extensions for blocking unwanted content

- uBlock Origin
- Ghostery
- NoScript
- BetterPrivacy
..and possibly some others

I am curious if some of them aren't already obsolete/overlapped by others more modern.
Do I actually need all of them or some can be simulated/fully replaced by functionality of another?
I currently think of removing NoScript, also it's being regularly developed but I find it annoying to make exception and reload page several times when firstly visiting a new web.
Which would you recommend me to remove?
I target to decrease the overall performance burden on Firefox ofcourse.

dfoulkes

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 8:05 am

Since some of those extensions can have different affects on different sites...and not knowing what site(s) you are talking about..., if I were you I'd just create a test profile, installed those exts. disable all but one, play with it, disable it...activate another one etc.... in my opinion that's about the only way for a user to come up with an answer for your question.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 9:04 am

Note that running multiple extensions intended to perform the same function can cause conflicts/problems. You probably only need about half of those to cover everything.

Ghostery has been identified as causing issues for some users. Can't say if that was due to conflicts with other extensions or just due to Ghostery itself.

Brummelchen

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 1:23 pm

keep uBlock and uninstall the rest.

you need blocking lists? examples please and we can help out, anything is possible

Grumpus

Post Posted June 11th, 2018, 5:15 am

NoScript and uBlock appear to be the most effective.
Some complain of complexity with NoScript and uBlock has a tendency to update the various supplied filter lists a bit much IMO.
Both have a learning curve.

Return to Firefox General