MozillaZine

Design Flaw? Windows AND Tabs

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bobr2k

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 8:37 am

Naturally I couldn't search for windows and tabs ... the search system on mozillaZine might as well not exist.

To the Subject: Windows AND Tabs
Why in the world did the "designers" decide to add a small window to the taskbar for each tab? :shock: The objective of tabs is to allow the user to select a function when clicking on the firefox "window". Just let me click on a Firefox window then make my tab selection rather than try to figure out which window I want to use. Six or seven or more tabs in windows - what a mess at the bottom when you mouse over firefox!
Bob R.
Doctor of Computers and Computing (CDP 1963) - Retired.

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am

You know... it been so long since I set up this windows system that I don't exactly remember what I did to allow Win7 to provide those multi-tab displays down there... but I like them... anyway, I do believe that that options is OS wide and now specific to Firefox... yep... just opened up three tabs in IE and my OS displayed those three windows down on the Windows bar... I'll see if I can find that setting...but somebody else will have the answer before I get back....
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 8:52 am

Why in the world did the "designers" decide to add a small window to the taskbar for each tab?

this is NOT the default behavior from firefox on windows 7/8/10. so at least you have screwed it again, only you know where.

hint - search for task bar grouping in windows - this is a registry hack and not caused by firefox.

another hint - you better uninstall firefox, the last times i saw you writing here:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.139 Safari/537.36

it makes no sense people telling about firefox when they use another browser most of the time. firefox could not be that important for you asking all that issues you have caused yourself.
Last edited by Brummelchen on May 2nd, 2018, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 8:53 am

OOPS! ...if I read you post correctly I was wrong... in Options/General ... the line with starting "Show tab previews" needs the check-mark out of the box....I was wrong on that OS part.

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 8:56 am

tab preview -> aero feature is imo not the issue.

tomatoshadow2

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 9:16 am

Yes bobr2k, why are you asking questions about Firefox, when it seems as Brummelchen pointed out, you seem to use Chrome a lot? To post about issues, you have messed up with Firefox,hmmm.

bobr2k

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 9:35 am

Brummelchen wrote:
Why in the world did the "designers" decide to add a small window to the taskbar for each tab?

this is NOT the default behavior from firefox on windows 7/8/10. so at least you have screwed it again, only you know where.

hint - search for task bar grouping in windows - this is a registry hack and not caused by firefox.

another hint - you better uninstall firefox, the last times i saw you writing here:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.139 Safari/537.36

it makes no sense people telling about firefox when they use another browser most of the time. firefox could not be that important for you asking all that issues you have caused yourself.

Clearly you know all the answers. You're wrong on most if not all. Thanks, but I don't need help from RUDE PEOPLE!
Bob R.

bobr2k

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 9:38 am

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Yes bobr2k, why are you asking questions about Firefox, when it seems as Brummelchen pointed out, you seem to use Chrome a lot? To post about issues, you have messed up with Firefox,hmmm.

Actually you guys are swamis ... get a new crystal ball. I've been using firefox for many years as my main browser only when new updates screw things up to I fall back to Chrome. QUIT BEING SO ALL KNOWING.
If you don't know the answer quit trying to formulate the question! :roll:
Bob R.

bobr2k

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 9:40 am

dfoulkes wrote:OOPS! ...if I read you post correctly I was wrong... in Options/General ... the line with starting "Show tab previews" needs the check-mark out of the box....I was wrong on that OS part.

Thanks for your response. When I did a complete uninstall and reinstall I probably lost an about:config change I had previously modified. Your FRIENDLY response gives me the hint I need. I can probably do some about:config browsing to find that "fix".
Thanks again!! 8-)
Bob R.

bobr2k

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 9:44 am

dfoulkes wrote:OOPS! ...if I read you post correctly I was wrong... in Options/General ... the line with starting "Show tab previews" needs the check-mark out of the box....I was wrong on that OS part.

That was it! Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar
Thanks!
Bob R.

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 10:04 am

You're Welcome! :D

therube

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 10:37 am

You may find 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to be of interest.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 10:45 am

bobr2k wrote:To the Subject: Windows AND Tabs

Try looking under the Firefox Options for simple stuff like that. It's a choice given; aka an option.

Btw those are called previews, not windows.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

tomatoshadow2

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

bobr2k wrote:
tomatoshadow2 wrote:Yes bobr2k, why are you asking questions about Firefox, when it seems as Brummelchen pointed out, you seem to use Chrome a lot? To post about issues, you have messed up with Firefox,hmmm.

Actually you guys are swamis ... get a new crystal ball. I've been using firefox for many years as my main browser only when new updates screw things up to I fall back to Chrome. QUIT BEING SO ALL KNOWING.

Alright, that's fine, I was just curious, just doesn't seem like you use Firefox as your main browser, when you use Chrome, because updates screw things up. :roll: What do updates screw up for you? We're aren't predicting the future, just pointing out you use Chrome a lot, to complain about Firefox issues, you seem to cause onto yourself.

tomatoshadow2

Post Posted May 2nd, 2018, 11:24 am

bobr2k wrote:

Also, great response to criticism, didn't know I couldn't respond to a post if I wanted. I can respond to any post I want. Better keep using Chrome, don't want Firefox to screw anything up for you. :turn-l:

Return to Firefox General