MozillaZine

future extensions question

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
roninx

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 7:51 am

I'm not tech savy, or good with CSS, so I have a question...

On past versions of Firefox, I used Custom Buttons, ditched it when it stopped working, and started using something awesome called PrefBar.

My question is this: Is there any way that something similar to one of these could be released in the future?

I love having the menu bar turned on, but there is a lot of unused space on it where I would like to add "buttons".

Brummelchen

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 8:42 am

only one button per extension now. some authors start separating their bundled buttons, please comments for legacy extensions which one were replaced or have alternatives. be specific what you probably miss!

roninx

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Brummelchen wrote:only one button per extension now. some authors start separating their bundled buttons, please comments for legacy extensions which one were replaced or have alternatives. be specific what you probably miss!

Well, my favorites were: Youtube, Netflix, Internet Movie Database, Amazon, Yahoo Mail.

And, I also had (want one or more) where I can have a folder on the menu bar. I did that before with Prefbar.

If you can only have one button per extension, would it be possible to have an extension that a user could define (and install) multiple times? Just an idea...

allande

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 5:49 pm

If the screen real estate of a slim bookmarks toolbar is something you can spare, if you turn on the built-in bookmarks toolbar (right click between the last tab and the close button and check bookmarks toolbar) you can add bookmarks to any of those sites, or a folder to it.

roninx

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 6:13 pm

allande wrote:If the screen real estate of a slim bookmarks toolbar is something you can spare, if you turn on the built-in bookmarks toolbar (right click between the last tab and the close button and check bookmarks toolbar) you can add bookmarks to any of those sites, or a folder to it.

I have a 43 inch monitor.

And, I already have bookmarks toolbar turned on. I have 4 rows and this is why I want to move some to the unused area on the menu bar.

pirst

Post Posted January 7th, 2018, 4:35 am

roninx

you can try save lots of "real estate" by consolidating your bookmarks by using only one letter in bookmarks toolbar. most of websites provide favicons so the label itself is not so important. In my case many of the bookmarks are bookmarklets:

https://i.imgur.com/iAO92l4.png

roninx

Post Posted January 7th, 2018, 5:52 am

pirst wrote:roninx

you can try save lots of "real estate" by consolidating your bookmarks by using only one letter in bookmarks toolbar. most of websites provide favicons so the label itself is not so important. In my case many of the bookmarks are bookmarklets:

https://i.imgur.com/iAO92l4.png

Yes, I am well aware, but I like having labels due to how many I have on the bookmarks bar.

pepegot1

Post Posted January 7th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Roninx,
Where did you get that four row of bookmarks from? An extension?

roninx

Post Posted January 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm

pepegot1 wrote:Roninx,
Where did you get that four row of bookmarks from? An extension?

Add (check link below) this to your userchrome:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... _lines.css

Return to Firefox General