MozillaZine

What does this do (in user.js)?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
shoestring

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 2:16 am

[Platform: Win98SE]

user_pref("network.protocols.useSystemDefaults", false); // set to true if user links should use system default handlers

(false appears to be the default)

The reason I ask is because I have had a great deal of frustration the past few days trying to get Phoenix to pass mailto: links on to (first) Eudora Light 3.0.6, as well as approximately a dozen other email clients.

Netscape 4.79 has no trouble doing this; however, Eudora 3.0.6 had specific provision for "intercepting" Netscape mailto: links built in. At times when Eudora wasn't running, NS would default to its own (lousy but functional) mail window.

Of course, Phoenix has no mail window, though I hope T-Bird remedies that - only because I'd like a seamless way to send to mailto:s. In fact, I don't care if T-Bird or whatever I use doesn't do anything but compose and send simple plaintext email. I think one or two of the clients I tried actually are send-only, in fact.

Problem is, none of them do anything when I click a mailto: link.

And, yes, I did add:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

to user.js.

Now, I gather I am unique in being unable to get this to work. Figuring something in Win was amiss (something usually is), I made sure all the updates I could find were installed. Took me hours to get the machine working smoothly again after that!

Have examined the <shudder>Registry</shudder> till I'm bloodshot, and don't see anything there ... of course, that sucker is so cryptic, one never does know for sure ...

Help! I doubt that setting the bugger at the top of this post to true is going to do anything useful, but thought I'd ask first.

PS: The forums need a [tongue hanging out in frustration] emoticon.

GNU/Ben

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 5:15 am

I also tried on Win98, but it didn't work for me.
WHat is the right command?

shoestring

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 6:21 am

Benman wrote:I also tried on Win98, but it didn't work for me.
WHat is the right command?

Well, at least it's good to know I am not alone in this ...

Return to Firefox General