MozillaZine

Questions on favicons, preferences, RAM and cookies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Hobbes

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 12:56 am

Hi all,

A couple of questions from a relatively new Phoenix user:

1) Favicons (or whatever they are called); can I turn them off? In the bookmark menu, in the address bar, everywhere?

2) Cookies. I want to turn them OFF for all sites and then specify myself which sites get to store cookies. As far as I understand it, right now I have to let Phoenix ask for every site I go to. Please tell me my very basic idea is supported somehow =)

3) RAM. Phoenix uses huge amounts of RAM. Right now I'm on a Windows 2000 box which, running only Windows and a few goodies, has a total commit charge of 95Mb RAM. Of these, Phoenix takes more than 22Mb. This seems WAY out of proportion to me... (all RAM figures courtesy of the Task Manager(tm)).

4) Phoenix has started to hang when I go to the "preferences" menu item. This is after just a few hours use... and anyway I don't mind, but I'd like advice on how to get rid of it.

Thanks!

grayrest

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 1:09 am

1) Favicons (or whatever they are called); can I turn them off? In the bookmark menu, in the address bar, everywhere?

From Phoenix Help:
Code: Select all
// Disable Bookmark Icons
user_pref("browser.chrome.site_icons", false);
user_pref("browser.chrome.favicons", false);

Don't know about 2.

3) RAM. Phoenix uses huge amounts of RAM. Right now I'm on a Windows 2000 box which, running only Windows and a few goodies, has a total commit charge of 95Mb RAM. Of these, Phoenix takes more than 22Mb. This seems WAY out of proportion to me... (all RAM figures courtesy of the Task Manager(tm)).

Nope, sounds pretty normal to me. I get in the 90 MB range when I have enough stuff open but have 512MB RAM, so I don't care.

4) Phoenix has started to hang when I go to the "preferences" menu item. This is after just a few hours use... and anyway I don't mind, but I'd like advice on how to get rid of it.

Don't open preferences when you've been using it for several hours ;-).

helenb

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 2:54 am

Hobbes wrote:4) Phoenix has started to hang when I go to the "preferences" menu item. This is after just a few hours use... and anyway I don't mind, but I'd like advice on how to get rid of it.

I was also having this problem (also using Win2000) but I took a new nightly build and that fixed it. I think the build was 4/11, if that helps (though is there any way to confirm exactly which build it is that I'm using?).

djst

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 3:05 am

helenb wrote:I was also having this problem (also using Win2000) but I took a new nightly build and that fixed it. I think the build was 4/11, if that helps (though is there any way to confirm exactly which build it is that I'm using?).

If you select Help > About Phoenix, you should be able to see which build you're using.

djst

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 3:07 am

Hobbes wrote:2) Cookies. I want to turn them OFF for all sites and then specify myself which sites get to store cookies. As far as I understand it, right now I have to let Phoenix ask for every site I go to. Please tell me my very basic idea is supported somehow =)

Thanks!

Have you tried Tools > Preferences > Privacy? Of course, that won't work if the preferences window hangs all the time. :) Download build 1103 or wait until 1106 is released.

helenb

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 3:29 am

djst wrote:If you select Help > About Phoenix, you should be able to see which build you're using.

That will tell me I'm using 0.4, but is there anything I can use to see that I got the nightly build from 4/11 rather than from 5/11?

djst

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 3:51 am

It should tell you something like this:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021104 Phoenix/0.4"

helenb

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 4:24 am

djst wrote:It should tell you something like this:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021104 Phoenix/0.4"

Yes, so it does, I should read the small print. Thanks.

lah

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 5:50 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hi all, Phoenix takes more than 22Mb. This seems WAY out of proportion to me... (all RAM figures courtesy of the Task Manager(tm)).

So... is it posably to run Phoenix on 32MB ram?

I'm home, using an old laptop with 32MB ram and writing this in (an old version) IE on Win95... Newer had any luck with any gecko browser (including galeon) on less then 64MB ram.

I can live with litle pain, it's pain using IE anyway :-)

/LaH

thenightfly42

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 7:03 am

Hobbes wrote:2) Cookies. I want to turn them OFF for all sites and then specify myself which sites get to store cookies. As far as I understand it, right now I have to let Phoenix ask for every site I go to. Please tell me my very basic idea is supported somehow =)

This could be implemented the same way as Popup Blocking; an icon shows up in the lower left whenever a cookie is blocked, and you can click on it to change the settings for that site.

Personally, I want a cookie whitelist, a cookie blacklist, and I want to accept all other cookies for only the current session. Haven't found any browser that does that yet, however.

emvious

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 10:33 am

thenightfly42 wrote:

This could be implemented the same way as Popup Blocking; an icon shows up in the lower left whenever a cookie is blocked, and you can click on it to change the settings for that site.

Personally, I want a cookie whitelist, a cookie blacklist, and I want to accept all other cookies for only the current session. Haven't found any browser that does that yet, however.

IE6 actually seems to have the best cookie handling :(. At least it allows the whitelist and blacklist, and differentiates between 1st party and 3rd party cookies.

This is the only reason why I still do not use Phoenix or Mozilla as my default browser. There have been several outstanding bugs in Bugzilla that have been opened for a long time, such as 75915 (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75915), but they keep getting pushed back. Mozilla already has a blacklist, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard to implement a whitelist. (I know... "Fix it yourself, it's open source.")

I would love to see this feature implemented. Are there any extensions or anything that allow this?

../frank

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 1:59 pm

thenightfly42 wrote:Personally, I want a cookie whitelist, a cookie blacklist, and I want to accept all other cookies for only the current session. Haven't found any browser that does that yet, however.

I second that!
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:

Return to Firefox General