MozillaZine

crazy tabs

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
naes

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 10:20 pm

why is it that sometimes a new tab will open when i select an address from the address bar...and sometimes it wont. it is very sporatic...it is very annoying. it this the norm or am i just missing some option i havent seen yet?

djst

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 11:57 pm

What do you mean with selecting an address from the address bar? You mean clicking on one of the autocomplete items?

naes

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 9:50 am

the address bar on the top with all the addresses you go to. sure it can be autocomplete or one that ive fully typed in. it doesnt matter. all i do is pull the menu down, select one and it will either open the page in a new tab...or not.

djst

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 10:16 am

naes wrote:the address bar on the top with all the addresses you go to. sure it can be autocomplete or one that ive fully typed in. it doesnt matter. all i do is pull the menu down, select one and it will either open the page in a new tab...or not.

Sounds like a bug, but if you're using the latest build, I'm not surprised. That build has a few problems. Wait a couple of days and see if you can reproduce it. Also, you could try using a new profile.

naes

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 10:59 am

well, im currently using 0.4 but i will try using a new profile and see what happens.

asa

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 11:49 am

naes wrote:why is it that sometimes a new tab will open when i select an address from the address bar...and sometimes it wont. it is very sporatic...it is very annoying. it this the norm or am i just missing some option i havent seen yet?

Could it be that you're occasionally hitting alt+ enter rather than just plain enter?

--Asa

naes

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 11:54 am

i dont think so...im not using the keyboard when this happens. just the mouse.

naes

Post Posted November 7th, 2002, 10:10 pm

i think i found where the problem lies...

you can select all the addresses you want from the dropdown and it will load in the same page or the main tab if you will. after i type in an address - like google - and use the ctl+enter to add the www. and .com....every address from the addressbar dropdown selected after is then loaded in a new tab. this will leave you with a lot of tabs if you do it consecutively.

i can definitely reproduce this and hope anyone can verify this:
1. select a few address from the addressbar dropdown - they should open in the main tab
2. in addressbar type google and do a ctl+enter
3. select any address again from the addressbar dropdown and it should display in a new tab

if this is a feature...is there any way to disable this behaviour? i would like all addresses to load in the same tab as the current one.
now i hope this isnt a feature - i think its a bug - and i hope i didnt waste anyones time if it is.

djst

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 5:02 am

naes wrote:i think i found where the problem lies...

you can select all the addresses you want from the dropdown and it will load in the same page or the main tab if you will. after i type in an address - like google - and use the ctl+enter to add the www. and .com....every address from the addressbar dropdown selected after is then loaded in a new tab. this will leave you with a lot of tabs if you do it consecutively.

i can definitely reproduce this and hope anyone can verify this:
1. select a few address from the addressbar dropdown - they should open in the main tab
2. in addressbar type google and do a ctl+enter
3. select any address again from the addressbar dropdown and it should display in a new tab

if this is a feature...is there any way to disable this behaviour? i would like all addresses to load in the same tab as the current one.
now i hope this isnt a feature - i think its a bug - and i hope i didnt waste anyones time if it is.

Works fine for me. Haven't tried with the latest 1107 nightly though, but i'm sure it works fine there too.

michal017

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 5:53 am

naes wrote:3. select any address again from the addressbar dropdown and it should display in a new tab

nope, it displays in the same tab..

I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021029 Phoenix/0.4
it's kinda old, I know.. ;)

naes

Post Posted November 8th, 2002, 9:59 am

thanks for trying.
well i dont know how to explain this then. it does the same thing on both my desktop and my laptop. both are using Phoenix/0.4 and both do the same behaviour above. for what its worth, my setup is:
slackware 8.1 (both)
mozilla in /usr/lib/mozilla (desktop only)
phoenix in /home/*/phoenix (desktop) and /usr/lib/phoenix (laptop)
no reference of mozilla or phoenix in ld.so.conf (have tried with and w/o)

im sure the above is the same for a lot of you so it wont help much.

i will try some nightlies and see what happens.

Return to Firefox General