MozillaZine

Lengthen entry box for search bar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
johnKFT

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 5:56 am

Can anyone tell me how to do this please? I seem to remember reading a post about how to shorten the box but I cannot find it. In case of confusion, I mean the small box on the right of the toolbar giving access to the searchplugins.

John

laszlo

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 6:46 am

Experiment with the following settings in your [url=texturizer.net/phoenix/edit.html]userChrome.css[/url].

Double the default (fixed) width:
Code: Select all
#search-bar {
  width: 24em !important;
}

Adapt the width dynamically to about half the width of the Location text box when both are on the same toolbar (on others it fills up space automatically) while keeping the default minimum width:
Code: Select all
#search-container {
  -moz-box-flex: 500 !important;
}

ugggf

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 6:47 am

You can add the following lines to your userchrome.css file:

#search-bar {
width: 24em !important;
}

(Default value is 12, 24 doubles the width. Change it as you wish - but don't forget the !imortant;

Have fun.

johnKFT

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 10:53 am

Thanks both of you, that did the trick. At the same time I discovered I could move the URL bar onto the menubar out of the way - voila - more room for a long search bar and to spread out the icons. Big improvement all round.

A couple of other points on the search bar:

1 It obviously stores the search history for each engine and throws it up if it seems to match what you next type. I find this irritating - is there any way it could be made to drop down a list of all the history instead, so I can choose what I want or ignore it?

2 I found the search engine additions on the Mozilla website and have installed some extras. Great idea. However. the one for the dictionary insists on putting itself in the middle of my Google list (UK, groups, images). I have removed it and replaced it in the hope of making it go to the bottom of the list, but it will not. The Thesaurus will, but not the dictionary! Any ideas, anyone, how I can make it do so?

John

Return to Firefox General