MozillaZine

Global theme?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 10:55 pm

David James wrote:Still, the answer to my question is essentially no - there isn't a way to just "open" up a .jar in Phoenix.

I don't know the answer to that. I guess the answer is no but I'm not a developer, I don't even know JavaScript. If it's not possible then I think it would be cool to have a "install theme" button in the theme pref panel that does what that web page I posted does. Ideally you could press that install button and it would give you a filepicker letting you specify a JAR (or several) to install. I suspect that it wouldn't be very difficult to add something like this to the themes pref panel (not much more difficult than adding it to a web page, I'd assume).

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 6:12 am

asa wrote:
David James wrote:Still, the answer to my question is essentially no - there isn't a way to just "open" up a .jar in Phoenix.

I don't know the answer to that. I guess the answer is no but I'm not a developer, I don't even know JavaScript. If it's not possible then I think it would be cool to have a "install theme" button in the theme pref panel that does what that web page I posted does. Ideally you could press that install button and it would give you a filepicker letting you specify a JAR (or several) to install. I suspect that it wouldn't be very difficult to add something like this to the themes pref panel (not much more difficult than adding it to a web page, I'd assume).

--Asa


I've added the install theme buttons to the themes page now. Also, the first theme to be using .jar instead of .xpi is called Breeze. More themes to follow soon.

Stefan

User avatar
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 2:46 am

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 6:53 am

asa wrote: Ideally you could press that install button and it would give you a filepicker letting you specify a JAR (or several) to install. I suspect that it wouldn't be very difficult to add something like this to the themes pref panel (not much more difficult than adding it to a web page, I'd assume).

--Asa


That sounds like a smart thing to do :)

asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 10:05 am

djst wrote:I've added the install theme buttons to the themes page now. Also, the first theme to be using .jar instead of .xpi is called Breeze. More themes to follow soon.

Right now the number of themes available is sufficiently small that you pretty much know and trust all of the people making them. I think that as the numbers grow and as you start to see contributions from folks that you don't recognize or know that well that you require they use the JAR format if you're going to list them. That would help get things back in the direction of using JARS and it would protect you from any backlash of folks that lost their harddrive to a malicious XPI. Like I said above, you probably have nothing to worry about with all of the folks we know from the forums but hopefully we'll see the community of themers grow dramatically over time and I think this would be a good move.
Also, for now you might want to specify in the description of the theme installer thing you added that it's for "themes saved as "JAR" files or something like that. Eventually as everyone moves back to JARs that won't be necessary. Now we just need people to start moving to JARs :)

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 12:19 pm

asa wrote:
djst wrote:I've added the install theme buttons to the themes page now. Also, the first theme to be using .jar instead of .xpi is called Breeze. More themes to follow soon.

Right now the number of themes available is sufficiently small that you pretty much know and trust all of the people making them. I think that as the numbers grow and as you start to see contributions from folks that you don't recognize or know that well that you require they use the JAR format if you're going to list them. That would help get things back in the direction of using JARS and it would protect you from any backlash of folks that lost their harddrive to a malicious XPI. Like I said above, you probably have nothing to worry about with all of the folks we know from the forums but hopefully we'll see the community of themers grow dramatically over time and I think this would be a good move.
Also, for now you might want to specify in the description of the theme installer thing you added that it's for "themes saved as "JAR" files or something like that. Eventually as everyone moves back to JARs that won't be necessary. Now we just need people to start moving to JARs :)

--Asa


Three themes are using .jar so far. All themes from lynchknot will be using .jar's soon. I've updated the description of the theme installer.

David James

User avatar
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 10:19 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 2:14 pm

Ok, for what it is worth I have now updated my XPI Themes Howto with a discouraging message as far as XPIs are concerned (kind of ironic given the name of the page...). I do not intent to leave things this way and the new jar howto will be rewritten/augmented as soon as time permits, but I really am too busy right now.

Here's the still working Theme XPI howto.
http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/phoen ... howto.html

And here's the new but still incomplete Theme JAR howto (enough is there to get a .jar out the door though).
http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/phoen ... howto.html

So if anyone has links to the former please point them to the latter. Once the latter is completed the former will simply redirect to it.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 5:42 pm

It's been just a few hours and there are already 9 themes using .jar instead of xpi:s! The transition seems to go smoothly.

asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 9:50 pm

djst wrote:It's been just a few hours and there are already 9 themes using .jar instead of xpi:s! The transition seems to go smoothly.

This is great. I'll see what I can do to get the "and use this theme" bug fixed.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961

puidon
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 6:43 pm

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 1:35 am

actually what is the difference between .jar and .xpi?
Is .jar a compressed format? :roll:

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 2:13 am

puidon wrote:actually what is the difference between .jar and .xpi?
Is .jar a compressed format? :roll:


This is my understanding: Both .jar and .xpi are really just zipped files. The .jar contains the actual theme (this file is copied to your chrome directory). The xpi contains both the .jar file and a scripted installer. This is where the security threat kicks in, since the xpi installer is capable of doing much more harm to your system than needed to install a theme.

By just providing the .jar and use the build-in theme installer methods, we can minimize the potential risk of someone damaging a user's system.

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests