MozillaZine

phoenix and os x

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
darren

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 7:41 am

hi all!

i'm really impressed with os x jaguar. i'm considering buying a g4 powerbook, but one of the biggest things holding back (besides the price) is that i don't know if i could live without phoenix. i love it that much.

i know that there is a gecko based browser (chimera), but from my research it's just not phoenix.

does anyone know if there is a plan to port phoenix to os x? i know that it has been ported to beos, so i assume it's possible.

thanks for any input!

djst

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 7:49 am

darren wrote:hi all!

i'm really impressed with os x jaguar. i'm considering buying a g4 powerbook, but one of the biggest things holding back (besides the price) is that i don't know if i could live without phoenix. i love it that much.

i know that there is a gecko based browser (chimera), but from my research it's just not phoenix.

does anyone know if there is a plan to port phoenix to os x? i know that it has been ported to beos, so i assume it's possible.

thanks for any input!

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#1.7

darren

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 8:01 am

thanks for the link djst. i was sure this must have been brought up before, but i couldn't find where it was discussed.

anyway, i'm glad someone is porting the project, even if it's not officially supported. i understand that chimera is a lightweight standalone, but phoenix is so close to perfection that it definitely seems worth offically porting to os x, even if chimera is similar in it's standalone approach.

what can i say, i just love phoenix to much to accept a substitute!

ehume

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 8:12 am

Do you have access to a Mac running OSX? Then you could try out Chimera.

Thumper

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 3:44 pm

darren wrote:i know that there is a gecko based browser (chimera), but from my research it's just not phoenix.

thenightfly42

Post Posted November 25th, 2002, 6:55 am

I'd also like Phoenix to be officially supported under OS X. I run OS X at home and WinXP at the office, and I'd like my browsers to work identically between the two. I've settled on Phoenix at work, but I keep switching between Chimera, Mozilla, Opera, and even occassionally IE at home. Chimera, while very close, just doesn't have the polish of Phoenix, and I fear that it never will.

Isn't one of the main Phoenix developers from Apple? It seems strange that OS X would be specifically ignored, why not have competition?

Return to Firefox General