MozillaZine

Downloading MP3's via Download Manager

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
david55475

User avatar
 
Posts: 98
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 3:35 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Posted December 11th, 2002, 3:20 am

Hi there,
I've noticed that whenever I download an MP3 (from any site) via the Download Manager, the resulting file is always corrupted. It plays, but the volume pulses on and off very rapidly, sort of the aural equivalent of a strobe light. I've tried it with an empty download list, and it doesn't make any difference.

If I use the progress dialog instead, or nothing, the file is perfectly fine. I've checked Bugzilla and couldn't see anything resembling this, so maybe it's just me... :?

Any thoughts ?

Dave

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207
Dave
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult

phanty

User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:50 am
Location: East Sussex

Post Posted December 11th, 2002, 4:12 am

Funnily enough, I switched to using the DL manager and the one mp3 I've downloaded since won't even
open in winamp - it just falls over.

I will investigate further. Im using 1.2.1 on win95 btw.

david55475

User avatar
 
Posts: 98
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 3:35 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Posted December 13th, 2002, 5:29 pm

Looks like no-one else has a problem. Guess it's just the two of us then... :?

Dave
Dave
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult

Z_God

User avatar
 
Posts: 267
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:56 am
Location: Netherlands, Enschede

Post Posted December 14th, 2002, 2:21 pm

Never had a problem with the download manager.
Could you try comparing the downloaded files using some sort of checksum program?
Maybe you should open a bug in bugzilla, since this looks important.

david55475

User avatar
 
Posts: 98
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 3:35 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Posted December 14th, 2002, 9:01 pm

Just found something even more disturbing...

I just downloaded and installed the latest nightly build (2002121408) with Talkback, with a fresh profile (after backup up my existing one first, of course ;)). The first thing I did was go to a site and download 3 copies of the same mp3, one using the Download Manager, one with the popup dialog, and one with no indicator.

None of them played properly.

They all exhibit the same problem I mentioned at the start of this thread - strobe-like volume effects.

Then I restored all my mailboxes, bookmarks and the theme I was using (AquaMOZ), and did the same thing again. This time only the Download Manager copy failed to play properly; the other two were fine.

What does that tell me ? I don't know...
Why would the creation and restoration of mailboxes, bookmarks and theme affect the downloading of mp3's ?

Being a programmer myself, I'm very aware how a change in one part of a program can affect a totally different part, so maybe it's that.

It's a worry that downloading doesn't seem to work straight out of the box, as it were. You'd expect that sort of thing to happen after installing some mis-behaved plug-in or something. I'm going to check Bugzilla again, and maybe file this one if it's not there.

Dave
Dave
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult

phanty

User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:50 am
Location: East Sussex

Post Posted December 16th, 2002, 5:48 am

Must be this crap stinkpad or win95. MP3 played ok on my laptop with WinME.
Just you then. :-(

Return to SeaMonkey Bugs


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests