MozillaZine

site problem

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
RevNomad

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 11:55 pm

This site http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ has given all my Gecko browsers trouble.
RevNomad

Gunnar

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 6:21 am

What exactly is your problem with this site? It looks fine (Mozilla 1.0.1).

One funny thing I noted: When I tried to open the site in IE (typed the URL in manually), I would get a download dialog. The only way to reach it was to go to www.chami.com and then click on the HTML link.
This may be due to the fact that they forgot to add something like <HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> in the head.

Gunnar
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site

old Neil Parks

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 7:03 am

This is a very flaky site.

When I clicked on the link in the first post (html-kit), I got part of a web page, followed by a bunch of gibberish.

I clicked on the Googlebar up button, and got the company's home page. I then clicked on the html-kit link, and saw the page that should have appeared the first time--no gibberish this time.

I clicked on a link--I forget which one--and got another good page. But when I clicked on my Back button, all I got was an error msg from Phoenix saying that a file called html-kit could not be found.

And these people want me to use their software to build web pages? Ha!

nicubunu

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 8:16 am

i used to think that the webpage for any "editor and an integrated development environment designed to help HTML, XHTML, XML and script authors" must be bullet-proof, tho show the quality of the product ...
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

RevNomad

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 10:37 am

HTML-Kit is very good. If he would use Gecko for his preview engine it would be very very good. It is highly customizable. Don't let the web page issue throw you off.

Having said all that, I wonder if the problem is in trying to do too much automation on the site? Take a look at the source for that page! Sheesh! I only have 56k dial-up with that much stuff going on perhaps my acess speed is an issue?
RevNomad

jgraham

Post Posted December 7th, 2002, 3:23 am

RevNomad wrote:HTML-Kit is very good. If he would use Gecko for his preview engine it would be very very good. It is highly customizable. Don't let the web page issue throw you off.

Having said all that, I wonder if the problem is in trying to do too much automation on the site? Take a look at the source for that page! Sheesh! I only have 56k dial-up with that much stuff going on perhaps my acess speed is an issue?

I tried HTML-kit and I can't argue that it's highly customisable, but on the other hand, it tries to be all things to all men and I found the interface to be a horrid nightmare. People who complain Moz has too many options should see that options dialog box... Then the option I wanted (don't close the search box as soon as you reach the end of the document) wasn't there - or I couldn't find it. it also sapped resources on my computer like nothing else and - this is perhaps the worst part - *refused to let me shut windows down without first closing it*. Anyway this is off topic.

The page source doesn't look like it has too much scripting - a lot of the stuff is css which should *really* be moved to an external file (along with the scripts to be honest). Anyway, the page wfm, but maybe connection speed is an issue?

RevNomad

Post Posted December 7th, 2002, 10:32 am

It's free.

I tried HTML-kit and I can't argue that it's highly customisable, but on the other hand, it tries to be all things to all men and I found the interface to be a horrid nightmare. People who complain Moz has too many options should see that options dialog box...

I agree still it's the best (for me, my lack of skill, etc etc) editor for the price.
NTP

Return to SeaMonkey Bugs