MozillaZine

[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
itisomegakai

User avatar
 
Posts: 358
Joined: February 13th, 2014, 11:52 am

Post Posted May 15th, 2017, 3:47 pm

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
rayquaza88 wrote:Will the add-on work after the Firefox 57 update that will only accept WebExtension add-ons? I really like this addon and it would be great to be able to keep using it

No. It is not a webextension, and there is no way to make it one. Firefox Nightly will still allow non-webextensions (by flipping a pref - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57). Another option is to use ESR channel (until sometime in 2018) or SeaMonkey or PaleMoon. Personally I plan to use some combination of Nighty and ESR and re-evaluate after ESR no longer supports legacy exts.

I am also attempting to get the core functionality built into fx:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260611
but it's been slow-going. I've never done a fx patch before, am new to hg, trying to learn about mochitests, and working on it on linux (not my default OS, but the build system requires a 64 bit OS) in a limited amount of time. Getting reviewed appears to be rather slow as well. So no promises there, but I'm giving it a try. Hey, I had no idea how to write a fx extension before I did Stay-Open Menu either <grin>.



Just want to say thank you and keep up the good work. =D>
Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?

Hope you can land it soon so can test it before release and provide bug info. :P

custom.firefox.lady
 
Posts: 298
Joined: February 28th, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: PA

Post Posted May 18th, 2017, 5:50 am

itisomegakai wrote: ...Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?

Bug 260611 will provide an about:config pref to enable it (the core stayopen feature for bookmarks menus). Haven't decided yet what to do with the rest of stayopen ext features. Possibly wrap an 'experiment' in a webext. But I'm generally very busy 3rd quarter of year, so it might not be before fx57. Not that it really matters, since legacy exts will still work on Nightly post 57 and 'experiments' also only work on Nightly. I recommend stayopen users plan some alternative such as Nightly/ESR/PM/SM. My current focus is on getting work done on the fx patch.

PS: All interested should feel free to follow progress on the bug (please don't spam it).

agenthardtofind
 
Posts: 18
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 7:59 am

Post Posted May 18th, 2017, 7:11 am

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
itisomegakai wrote: ...Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?

Bug 260611 will provide an about:config pref to enable it (the core stayopen feature for bookmarks menus). Haven't decided yet what to do with the rest of stayopen ext features. Possibly wrap an 'experiment' in a webext. But I'm generally very busy 3rd quarter of year, so it might not be before fx57. Not that it really matters, since legacy exts will still work on Nightly post 57 and 'experiments' also only work on Nightly. I recommend stayopen users plan some alternative such as Nightly/ESR/PM/SM. My current focus is on getting work done on the fx patch.

PS: All interested should feel free to follow progress on the bug (please don't spam it).


That's good to hear that you are integrating it into firefox.
you could add "all the features" directly into firefox controlled by pref, it would ensure it works w/ any breakage due to updates of addon api's.
They are enabling photon for testing in 56 so if this were to land during then then it could be tested easily but it's ok as we all know & trust you will take care of adding all the features of SOM in firefox directly.

Following the bug.

KUDOS

custom.firefox.lady
 
Posts: 298
Joined: February 28th, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: PA

Post Posted May 18th, 2017, 8:09 am

agenthardtofind wrote:you will take care of adding all the features of SOM in firefox directly.
Following the bug.

Please read the bug. Most of stayopen's features will not be added to fx.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests