MozillaZine

[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
delicacy1
 
Posts: 279
Joined: September 28th, 2016, 11:25 am

Post Posted October 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I'm facing a strange problem, i never had it with adblock plus & i don't remember having it with ublock before, i donno what happened, maybe a filter update, i don't know..

issue: when a website is affected by a filter, the entire page refreshes itself one to 4 times depending on the number of filters..... .

i've never had pages refreshing themselves because a filter was working on a specific page & i know it's ubo because when i disable it on a specific page or another with filters running on it,
no refreshing effect is experienced....

barbaz
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 4:39 pm

I'm confused about something.

uBlock Origin 1.14.14
SeaMonkey 2.49.1

Steps to reproduce -

1) add this filter
Code: Select all
||adobe.com^$popup

2) visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
3) in the right sidebar of the page, left-click the link "Games".

Result: Link opens in a new tab, as expected, but the original tab is closed. Logger reports this -
Code: Select all
||adobe.com^$popup   --   popunder   http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/


My questions:

1) Why is the Adobe tab classified as a popunder upon clicking that link?

2) I re-read https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax but I didn't see anything that says $popup implies $popunder. Is this intended behavior?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!

gorhill
 
Posts: 146
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 8:00 am

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 2:48 pm

barbaz wrote:2) I re-read https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax but I didn't see anything that says $popup implies $popunder. Is this intended behavior?

$popup does imply $popunder when the filter matches part of the hostname, i.e. when the filter is specific enough. For example, ?popid=$popup would not be tried as a popunder, because too generic (this would cause too many false positives). Yours however is specific.

However, in the current case there should be no match, because the source tab from where the link was opened was not redirected to another page. Clearly something I overlooked.

barbaz
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 2:59 pm

gorhill wrote:$popup does imply $popunder when the filter matches part of the hostname, i.e. when the filter is specific enough. For example, ?popid=$popup would not be tried as a popunder, because too generic (this would cause too many false positives). Yours however is specific.

Thanks gorhill for the explanation!

gorhill wrote:However, in the current case there should be no match, because the source tab from where the link was opened was not redirected to another page. Clearly something I overlooked.

Would you like this to be filed as a formal issue?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!

gorhill
 
Posts: 146
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 8:00 am

Post Posted October 13th, 2017, 7:37 am

barbaz wrote:Would you like this to be filed as a formal issue?

Somebody already did it: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/3129

Issue (and other popup-related issues) is fixed in 1.14.15b1 (published on AMO).

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: L.A.R. Grizzly and 5 guests