MozillaZine

[EXT] Norwell history tools

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
howtofixit

Post Posted May 10th, 2017, 5:51 am

I don't understand how to use this add on at all - I installed it because I lost some work from late February/early March and firefox History is only showing my History going back through April. When I try using Norwell history tool it is only showing my history from today, even when I tried using the Limits widget, I checked enable on that and then selected From 27 February To 2 March, but it still shows me only today - 10 May, 2017! :oops: :oops: :oops:

pirst

Post Posted May 12th, 2017, 9:19 am

howtofixit wrote:I don't understand how to use this add on at all - I installed it because I lost some work from late February/early March and firefox History is only showing my History going back through April. When I try using Norwell history tool it is only showing my history from today, even when I tried using the Limits widget, I checked enable on that and then selected From 27 February To 2 March, but it still shows me only today - 10 May, 2017! :oops: :oops: :oops:

did you press the magnifying glass button in the search bar after selecting limits?

Elhem Enohpi

Post Posted May 12th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Pressing the magnifying glass button after selecting date limits does nothing for me. Like the other people, I still only see today's history. Using a Mac with FF53.0.2.

Eventually I found out that I can get the results by clicking in the search bar, without typing anything, and then pressing the Enter key.

@pirst, maybe you could put some more instructions in the description? Maybe it could be nice if there was an "ok" button or something like that, in the limits pop-up box, that would close the box and show the results.

After I figured out how to work it, it's a great tool. Thank-you for making it!!

q.dinar

Post Posted June 2nd, 2017, 5:19 pm

feature suggestion: open any places.sqlite file from file system, that can be saved with other name. (i save/backup it every several months, because firefox deletes old history. i tried to browse it with sqlite manager plugin but it is hard. so i have to copy it to a firefox profile with norwell for now.)

pirst

Post Posted June 3rd, 2017, 2:17 pm

q.dinar,
just an idea for workaround - you can create different user profiles for each places.sqlite file if you do not want to import and combine them with norwell. It's probably not to be trusted, but "expire history by days" http://addons.mozilla.org/addon/expire-history-by-days/ extension has setting to prevent firefox from deleting old history. I have history almost 5 years old - 2,5 million records, but at this point in history users do not own their own internet browsing history - some sort of gestapo owns and handles it for them in some sort of big data surveillance log cabin.. probably in the woods erected on the top of soot cloud technology.
just think about it - modern personal computers are probably 100 times more powerful than most powerful web servers 20 years ago and those webservers 20 years ago could log and preserve history from hundreds of websites simultaneously processing millions of records every hour. So it really doesn't make any sense their claims that big history somehow slows down internet browsing experience. The only reasonable bottleneck to be expected is marking visited links as visited as it involves checking encountered links against increasingly ballooning database of places.sqlite. But that part of firefox is programmed by using some sort of tar budget "magic" - even with 2.5 million records in my 1gb places.sqlite file on my computer any given page even with thousands of links displays all the links correctly and instantly. Awesome bar is programmed by using less gray shade of tar budgets - it's sluggish, but not to the point to be annoying to be abandoned or disabled. I still use it. Modern computing revealed some nefarious aspects about this entire cyber operation across the board. It's was encrypted dual use technology that pretty much was just a bait. So it would be mistake to even consider that we arrived at this crossroad of wicked problem due to some sort of misuse or negligence of some dr evil bad forbidden fruit, apple of your eye, windows to your soul, etc.. I speculate it's part of "global WAR-ming" which is liquid substance produced out of thawing rigid cold war where all parties involved united under flag of entire spectrum of joint gen IV warfare operations. of course word "generation" most likely is not about warfare, but about targeted generation trying to make all countries great (britain) again, with weapons of no country for old men where cut off age is no child left behind. So here we have it - tar budget lives matter. top secret stuff, but bottom secret is probably even more secret...

PictureThis

Post Posted July 14th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Thank you very much for creating this excellent and much needed extension. It already saved me hours of searching for a particular site this week. I have 3 questions:

1. Is it possible to save the column width?

2. When entering dot "." in the Norwell search field (display complete browsing history) the count of results differ from the total history entries. What causes the difference?

3. Do you accept donations for this project?

pirst

Post Posted July 15th, 2017, 5:11 am

1. norwell doesn't have such capability.
2. it might be related to some special entries in places.sqlite that don't have dots in them eg created as part of bookmarks toolbar
Code: Select all
place:folder=BOOKMARKS_MENU&folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&folder=TOOLBAR&queryType=1&sort=12&maxResults=10&excludeQueries=1
. try executing query without anything in the search field, but setting date limits so it would cover your entire history. eg limit only top ceiling. Those special entries don't have timestamps on them.
3. i guess only if its not called a donation

Return to Extension/Theme Releases