MozillaZine

[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 1st, 2017, 11:47 am

pag77 wrote:I develop extensions voluntarily, my extensions are free, no one has the right to force me to perform this or that part in my extension!


That's right. Users should not be forced by Firefox staff to fight with addon developers for their rights to be protected from spying, and other unauthorized addon activities concealed in its description in the browser Web Store. This is the duty of Firefox staff to maintain such conditions for addon developers that ensure user privacy and security protection. Don't worry, user community can and will protect their collective rights. Yes, I'm paranoid about security and privacy rights, just like you are paranoid in your attempts to monitor every user move -the task totally unrelated to your addon claimed "content translation" purpose.

pag77
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: December 26th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Post Posted December 1st, 2017, 12:22 pm

zamar27 wrote:That's right. Users should not be forced by Firefox staff to fight with addon developers for their rights to be protected from spying, and other unauthorized addon activities concealed in its description in the browser Web Store. This is the duty of Firefox staff to maintain such conditions for addon developers that ensure user privacy and security protection. Don't worry, user community can and will protect their collective rights. Yes, I'm paranoid about security and privacy rights, just like you are paranoid in your attempts to monitor every user move -the task totally unrelated to your addon claimed "content translation" purpose.


stop blaming me and my programs in spying without providing any evidence!
I already wrote to you:
1. my programs do not spy! Your browser spy on you by sending your information to Google servers. Please see:
Chrome-Settings-Advanced-Privacy and security: Google Chrome may use web services to improve your browsing experience. You may optionally disable these services
https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=settings_privacy
2. it's a bug in the Chrome browser!
3. Even the presence of this error does not allow you to copy the password zone - you will always see the points. And only points!
4. I made changes to the test version that would fix the Chrome error and I thought you would check this.
5. If you have paranoia - use the incognito mode!

pag77
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: December 26th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Post Posted December 1st, 2017, 3:14 pm

version 6.13
Mozilla Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3google-translator/
Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/s3translator/debnnjfbneojbmioajinefnflopdohjk

changes:
updated: French locale (thanks Jack Black)
fixed: minor bug fixes

Thomas.Weber
 
Posts: 26
Joined: April 24th, 2005, 12:46 pm

Post Posted December 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

zamar27 wrote:
pag77 wrote:I develop extensions voluntarily, my extensions are free, no one has the right to force me to perform this or that part in my extension!


That's right. Users should not be forced by Firefox staff to fight with addon developers for their rights to be protected from spying, and other unauthorized addon activities concealed in its description in the browser Web Store. This is the duty of Firefox staff to maintain such conditions for addon developers that ensure user privacy and security protection. Don't worry, user community can and will protect their collective rights. Yes, I'm paranoid about security and privacy rights, just like you are paranoid in your attempts to monitor every user move -the task totally unrelated to your addon claimed "content translation" purpose.

evidence, please, or is it just some guesswork?

zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 2nd, 2017, 6:42 pm

Thomas.Weber wrote:evidence, please, or is it just some guesswork?


Evidence of what exactly? Try reading the last 3 pages of this forum to understand the subject. :wink:

The developer refused to provide option to switch S3 input monitoring off on websites the user doesn't need translated and deems sensitive. Up until v6.13, at 1st launch S3 offered user a banner to Agree / Disagree with viewing ads - that was misleading, since instead S3 collects info about about every site visited, including those user deselected for translation. In just posted S3 v6.13 the dev claimed, that banner was "a minor bug" :shock: , and changed its content to "Agree & Disagree for S3 to collect info on every site user visits". There is no option in Settings to switch that On/Off later. Regardless, S3 keeps collecting all info on every site, no matter whether you agree or disagree in that banner. When you select any word on any website, you observe very active Javascript work and hard drive activity if you use Windows monitoring tools, while S3 keeps collecting and saving all links presented on that webpage (v6.12 and earlier I tested). At the same time the 3-button panel appears, often overlapping the selected text and interfering with your work, despite you never wanted this site to be translated, because its your mother tongue language or such. S3 addon monitors your every input on every site, whether you want it or not, and the dev refused to allow user to switch this monitoring off anytime.

When S3 author admits the addon monitors and collects info on every site, even asks your permission to do so in that banner, and then tells you directly on this forum "I will not provide option in Settings or Menu to switch S3 active monitoring and info collection off on every open website, whether user wants it or not", what else evidence do you need? :-k What does it have in common with declared purpose of this addon to be a "translator"? Regardless, who is in control here of content privacy you work with - you the user, or S3 developer?

Btw, I don't tell you whether you should use this addon or not. Its YOUR OWN choice, and you're responsible for it. Good luck! Just don't tell me, what I should do, post, or use. Its MY CHOICE. If you can't understand the above arguments, no other evidence will suffice. And I'm not going to argue with you - post whatever you want.

pag77
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: December 26th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 12:28 am

zamar27 wrote:
Thomas.Weber wrote:evidence, please, or is it just some guesswork?


Evidence of what exactly? Try reading the last 3 pages of this forum to understand the subject. :wink:

The developer refused to provide option to switch S3 input monitoring off on websites the user doesn't need translated and deems sensitive. Up until v6.13, at 1st launch S3 offered user a banner to Agree / Disagree with viewing ads - that was misleading, since instead S3 collects info about about every site visited, including those user deselected for translation. In just posted S3 v6.13 the dev claimed, that banner was "a minor bug" :shock: , and changed its content to "Agree & Disagree for S3 to collect info on every site user visits". There is no option in Settings to switch that On/Off later. Regardless, S3 keeps collecting all info on every site, no matter whether you agree or disagree in that banner. When you select any word on any website, you observe very active Javascript work and hard drive activity if you use Windows monitoring tools, while S3 keeps collecting and saving all links presented on that webpage (v6.12 and earlier I tested). At the same time the 3-button panel appears, often overlapping the selected text and interfering with your work, despite you never wanted this site to be translated, because its your mother tongue language or such. S3 addon monitors your every input on every site, whether you want it or not, and the dev refused to allow user to switch this monitoring off anytime.

When S3 author admits the addon monitors and collects info on every site, even asks your permission to do so in that banner, and then tells you directly on this forum "I will not provide option in Settings or Menu to switch S3 active monitoring and info collection off on every open website, whether user wants it or not", what else evidence do you need? :-k What does it have in common with declared purpose of this addon to be a "translator"? Regardless, who is in control here of content privacy you work with - you the user, or S3 developer?

Btw, I don't tell you whether you should use this addon or not. Its YOUR OWN choice, and you're responsible for it. Good luck! Just don't tell me, what I should do, post, or use. Its MY CHOICE. If you can't understand the above arguments, no other evidence will suffice. And I'm not going to argue with you - post whatever you want.


Do not mislead people!
1. addon collects domains only if the user agrees to provide statistics
2. addon collects only domains
3. Google Chrome error is that its API always returns the selected text, even if it was a password field. but! if it was a password, the API always returns only points!

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 1:17 am

stats are off by default.

with legacy addons none cared about permissions, all-in - now with webextensions where it is mandatory and readable some people cry rivers. weird world.

zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 9:45 am

Brummelchen wrote:with legacy addons none cared about permissions, all-in - now with webextensions where it is mandatory and readable some people cry rivers.


"None cared" - how do you know that? If it were true, the dev would easily add an option to switch monitoring off in Settings rather than go through endless reviews by Web Store staff following user complains. But he persistently refuses, because he knows well as soon as that option is provided, most users will deselect ongoing monitoring because they DO care about privacy. It doesn't make sense for most users to allow monitoring sites which don't require translation!

I preferred Chrome for some time, and permissions info was exposed in it for quite awhile, and in Android they are fully revocable any time. Now FF is getting faster with new engine, so many folks are looking to use both browsers for varying purposes. Now Firefox devs claim they not only cut costs by their move to Chromium core, but also improved users security and privacy with web extensions. Based on that claim, they largely substituted manual rigorous addon testing with automatic test on whether it complies with FF limited subset of webextension guidelines, and without comprehensive analysis of what the code actually does. Apparently, their rules subset is quite weak aiming to attract more addon devs by simplicity, thus compromising user privacy and security in the process. This in turn encourages unscrupulous FF addon devs to abuse this opportunity with more and more sophistication and with blatant disregard to users demands for privacy.
Last edited by zamar27 on December 3rd, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tony-E

User avatar
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: November 5th, 2004, 11:28 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 10:09 am

zamar, if you don't like the extension then don't install it. I think it's a great extension and am not at all concerned about having it installed.

You have made your point many, many times. Please just go

zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 10:11 am

Tony-E wrote:Please just go

Sorry pal, I'll stay. Its the right place specially offered to exchange opinions, and I don't ask you to leave whatever you post here, if it complies with forum rules and don't infringe on other people posting rights. My posts are not about making a point, most just address questions and notes posted by others. I do make a point however in the right places to make FF addon rules and testing practices more rigorous.
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 3rd, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted name calling removed.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119739
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 2:35 pm

I do make a point however in the right places to make FF addon rules and testing practices more rigorous.

Except this is not that place. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community. Nothing posted here is going to change anything about addon rules or testing practices. I suggest you understand that and consider other venues for your contributions on that subject.

zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 3:32 pm

DanRaisch wrote:
I do make a point however in the right places to make FF addon rules and testing practices more rigorous.

Except this is not that place. I suggest you understand that and consider other venues for your contributions on that subject.


On this forum many people frequently ask addon authors of various improvements. I did the same, if you look through several last pages. Including, but far not limited to, adding some options to address users privacy concerns. I absolutely agree with you that its rational to promote this subject with Firefox and Chrome teams. Actually, that's what I meant by that citation. This discussion is at full speed with the right people at Chrome and Firefox now. Its not limited to this extension at all, but rather to improving ext design guidelines and providing users with more granular per site ext disable control. I many times said here that S3 is quite useful, and that was my motif to suggest further improvements. I also agree, we don't need to repeat the same over and over. :wink:

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119739
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 4:52 pm

So let's say we're done here and let that particular issue rest in peace.

zamar27
 
Posts: 39
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Post Posted December 5th, 2017, 12:17 pm

@pag77

Going back to S3 improvements & bug fixes, is it possible to extend this "Disable for Cyrillic Text" option in Settings - Translate Text - Selected Text to *any* user chosen language, not only for Russian? If someone is an English speaker, they also want this Settings exception for English sites, which they obviously don't need to translate. Same goes for Chinese speakers, Arabic, etc, as this addon is marketed as international. May be adding a dropdown menu with language choice?

Image

MPC-BE
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 14th, 2017, 8:15 am

Post Posted December 5th, 2017, 1:20 pm

zamar27 wrote:@pag77

Going back to S3 improvements & bug fixes, is it possible to extend this "Disable for Cyrillic Text" option in Settings - Translate Text - Selected Text to *any* user chosen language, not only for Russian? If someone is an English speaker, they also want this Settings exception for English sites, which they obviously don't need to translate. Same goes for Chinese speakers, Arabic, etc, as this addon is marketed as international. May be adding a dropdown menu with language choice?

Image




Good idea!, for example Im a spanish guy and I dont need S3 in spanish web

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests