MozillaZine

Mobile app and bookmarks . . .

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
Bruce L.

Post Posted June 29th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I've monkeyed with my phone forever, and have searched here, but I cannot find any way of re-arranging the bookmarks -- or if a way even exists.

Does it?

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 29th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Moving to Mobile forum where it's more likely to be viewed by those with knowledge of the functionality.

Bruce L.

Post Posted June 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Ha, okay thanks Dan. I first looked at the board index page, there were 5 FF forums, then it went to T-bird, so I didn't scroll any farther. I do see the mobile forum now. I thought it seemed a bit odd that there wasn't one.

BobbyPhoenix

Post Posted June 29th, 2019, 2:05 pm

The only thing you can do on mobile is click and hold on a bookmark/folder to get the edit menu, and then you can move them around, but not sort them (that I can find). The best way I found is to use sync. Then you can sort in the desktop version, and it will replicate to mobile. One odd thing I did find doing this is if you add/change on the desktop after syncing both you sometimes get a mixed up mobile set, but it can easily be fixed by simple moving one bookmark on the desktop, syncing desktop, syncing mobile, and then move the bookmark back where it was on the desktop, and then sync both again starting with the desktop. It's a pain sometimes if you add/change bookmarks a lot, but it does work.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Bruce L.

Post Posted June 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

Bobby: Your first suggestion doesn't work for me. And synching isn't going to work either -- I have a zillion saved links on my laptop on a homemade index ("Home") page. I've only got maybe a dozen bookmarks on my phone.

You'd think it would automatically arrange them alphabetically at least, like nearly everything else on computers.

Thanks anyway. :mrgreen:

dfoulkes

Post Posted June 30th, 2019, 10:06 am

I also have the same issue as you with those bookmarks... since I don't have many (and one of the reasons is as you stated... very bad bookmark management in the Mobil version) ... you might want to think about creating a new profile in your PC, load it with the same bookmarks that you have in mobile, arrange them in there in then Since just that profile with your mobile... I have not done it but who know... maybe that's the way to do it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Bruce L.

Post Posted July 1st, 2019, 7:59 am

dfoulkes wrote:I also have the same issue as you with those bookmarks... since I don't have many (and one of the reasons is as you stated... very bad bookmark management in the Mobil version) ... you might want to think about creating a new profile in your PC, load it with the same bookmarks that you have in mobile, arrange them in there in then Since just that profile with your mobile... I have not done it but who know... maybe that's the way to do it.

Interesting thought!

I don't have my phone in front of me, but is there a way of designating a "Home Page" in mobile as with the DT version?

mozillazinefor19#34_

Post Posted July 12th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Bruce L. wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:I also have the same issue as you with those bookmarks... since I don't have many (and one of the reasons is as you stated... very bad bookmark management in the Mobil version) ... you might want to think about creating a new profile in your PC, load it with the same bookmarks that you have in mobile, arrange them in there in then Since just that profile with your mobile... I have not done it but who know... maybe that's the way to do it.

Interesting thought!

I don't have my phone in front of me, but is there a way of designating a "Home Page" in mobile as with the DT version?

On my tablet, it's 3-dot menu > Settings > General > Home > Set a Homepage

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... cific-page

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 8:05 am

On my tablet, it's 3-dot menu > Settings > General > Home > Set a Homepage

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... cific-page

The OP was talking about the order of bookmarks... not setting them as home page...
Bruce L. wrote:I've monkeyed with my phone forever, and have searched here, but I cannot find any way of re-arranging the bookmarks -- or if a way even exists.

mozillazinefor19#34_

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 1:33 pm

"The OP was talking about the order of bookmarks... not setting them as home page..."

Yes, I know. However, the last question, "I don't have my phone in front of me, but is there a way of designating a "Home Page" in mobile as with the DT version?" In which case, create an html document (perhaps your own bookmarks exported from FF DT) and change the FF Homepage option. I actually thought this was a good alternative that I might give a try :-) Sorry if that isn't what was asked, but that's how I read "designating a "Home Page" and I was excited that perhaps that was a solution for me too.

I have/had this same issue with bookmarks. It is very primitive in FF for android, version 68.0. I've been careful of what I do because I have no backup (another thread :-)) and have already lost my bookmarks once. I played around with pinning a bookmark. For now, when I create a bookmark, I click on the Options right away, change the title as needed to my standard (makes it easier to spot, especially since you can't order them) and place into a specific subfolder, so at least the bookmarks are grouped. On DT FF I used my #1 addon, all-in-one sidebar (and Go-To-Parent, Show Parent) to manage my bookmarks. I organize and use my bookmarks and keywords extensively.

FF Knowledgebase shows very simple actions:
Manage bookmark folders in Firefox for Android
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ma ... ox-android

I see lots of users asking about bookmarks:
How do I order bookmark folders?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1247887

There's even a bug report on collecting data on how many people sort (move the order) their bookmarks:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... c+bookmark

imho, besides fast, secure, private, browsing, a good local bookmark UI is a high priority.

I'm not sure how to get our voices heard.
On support questions I click on the link "I have this problem too". Same with bug reports.
If there is a feedback button, I fill it out even if it is the lame - how does FF make you feel: sad, happy.

BobbyPhoenix

Post Posted July 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Via TechRadar: (Hopefully it will also be on Android soon) Going mobile

iOS users will see much bigger changes with Firefox 68, including two new features brought over from the desktop version of the browser.

The first of these is bookmark editing, which lets you reorder, rename and change the URL of any bookmarked sites. It's a very useful addition, and somewhat surprising that it wasn't included sooner.

It's also possible to set particular sites so they always open in desktop rather than mobile view on your iOS device. Despite the vast number of people browsing the internet on their phones, some websites just don't play nicely on a smaller screen, so this option will make life much easier if you have to use one regularly.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 14th, 2019, 9:22 am

mozillazinefor19#34_ wrote:"The OP was talking about the order of bookmarks... not setting them as home page..."

Yes, I know. However, the last question, "I don't have my phone in front of me, but is there a way of designating a "Home Page" in mobile as with the DT version?" In which case, create an html document (perhaps your own bookmarks exported from FF DT) and change the FF Homepage option. I actually thought this was a good alternative that I might give a try :-) Sorry if that isn't what was asked, but that's how I read "designating a "Home Page" and I was excited that perhaps that was a solution for me too.

You are absolutely correct... I had read that line and my 74 years must be showing some of that 74 years :mrgreen: ... read it and forgot about it.

Return to Mobile