MozillaZine

Firefox 53 and JAVA

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
Jerome_James
 
Posts: 3
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 9:35 am

Post Posted March 21st, 2017, 1:07 pm

Need and appropriate JAVA install for my LG Optimus Phone with Android 5.1.1. Use an online phone app at www.KeepCalling.com which requires JAVA. Have yet to succeed with FireFox Beta 53.0. Guidance sought.

TheVisitor
 
Posts: 4454
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Post Posted March 21st, 2017, 1:22 pm

See your previous post viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3028505 - James told you Java is NOT supported in Firefox.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted March 21st, 2017, 2:28 pm

Jerome_James wrote:Need and appropriate JAVA install for my LG Optimus Phone with Android 5.1.1. Use an online phone app at http://www.KeepCalling.com which requires JAVA. Have yet to succeed with FireFox Beta 53.0. Guidance sought.

Oracle does not provide a version of Java Plugin for the Android OS. They are not likely to ever do so both because of their lawsuits with Google on the use of Java in Android and since Oracle plans to discontinue the NPAPI Java Plugin.

chaanakya

User avatar
 
Posts: 18
Joined: June 15th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 10:45 pm

And the fact that Firefox itself disabled all NPAPI plugins (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins) further puts the nail in this request's coffin.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 10:55 pm

chaanakya wrote:And the fact that Firefox itself disabled all NPAPI plugins (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins) further puts the nail in this request's coffin.

For desktop Firefox that is and the Flash Player Plugin is still allowed.

chaanakya

User avatar
 
Posts: 18
Joined: June 15th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 10:58 pm

James wrote:
chaanakya wrote:And the fact that Firefox itself disabled all NPAPI plugins (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins) further puts the nail in this request's coffin.

For desktop Firefox that is and the Flash Player Plugin is still allowed.

True. I would be surprised if that wasn't already carried over to mobile though, given that the about:plugins page gives the same message that is given on desktop Firefox.

JanH
 
Posts: 104
Joined: March 23rd, 2011, 1:19 pm

Post Posted June 18th, 2017, 2:44 am

De facto, on Android Flash Player was the only NPAPI-plugin available for Firefox anyway.

chaanakya

User avatar
 
Posts: 18
Joined: June 15th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Post Posted June 19th, 2017, 8:32 am

JanH wrote:De facto, on Android Flash Player was the only NPAPI-plugin available for Firefox anyway.

Yup!

Return to Mobile


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest