MozillaZine

How to update FF on Android 6.0.1?

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
hi2u

Post Posted January 31st, 2017, 9:25 am

Several months ago, I installed FF48 on my Samsung phone Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Since then, I've been regularly clicking the update button, but I always get "no update available". I see that the latest FF version is now 50.1.0. Any idea how I can update?

JanH

Post Posted January 31st, 2017, 12:03 pm

Which release channel are you using - only Nightly and Aurora (when installing the APK from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/) use the inbuilt updater. Beta and Release update via the Play Store, so you either need to look there or else download a new APK and manually install it.

hi2u

Post Posted January 31st, 2017, 11:10 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! =D>
Just went to Google Play store, the regular FF showed the update button ... and less than a minute later, I have FF 50.1.0!!!

Here is what I used to do when trying to update: Settings > about FF > Click on check for updates button ... and that's when I would get no update available.
Pretty dumb to have an update button built-in if it doesn't work. Anyway, thank you so much for your help.

Reflective

Post Posted February 2nd, 2017, 9:02 am

I have version 51.0 dated January 24, 2017

Go to "About Firefox" and then tap "Release Notes". Scroll the page to see the actual version installed.

Maybe check in Android Settings --> Applications ---> Application manager ---> Firefox and then under Notifications, check to make sure it reads "Allowed".

Also check Android Settings ---> Applications ---> Default Applications and at the top where it says "Browser App" that it reads "Firefox" underneath.

JanH

Post Posted February 2nd, 2017, 2:00 pm

@Reflective: The inbuilt updater is definitively inoperative on Release and Beta, and probably on Aurora as well if you've installed it via the Play Store.

As for 50.1.0 vs 51.0 - the staged roll out has been temporarily halted because of a surge in startup crashes on certain devices.

patclash

Post Posted February 6th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Firefox Mobile 51.0.2 update on GooglePlay :)

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... easenotes/

tomri

Post Posted April 10th, 2017, 3:35 am

I wonder whether it is possible to use the built-in updater for release versions of Firefox mobile that were downloaded from ftp.mozilla.org?

The reason is, I do not want Google infrastructure on my phone, but I would not mind automatic updates in Firefox.

So I thought maybe there is a configuration option (about:config) to enable auto-update also on the release version of Firefox?

Thanks

Tom

Return to Mobile