MozillaZine

Sunbird icon in system Tray

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
pfaoro

Post Posted June 20th, 2005, 4:55 pm

A question about using Sunbird in Thunderbird:
For reasons I've now forgotten, I didn't like SunTray and installed Minimize To Tray instead which seems to work better BUT now I have identical icons for Sunbird and Thunderbird when both are minimized. Anyone have an idea how to change icons to as to distinguish which is which?

helix400

Post Posted June 21st, 2005, 12:06 am

A MinimizeToTray developer here...

It sounds like you are using Calendar withing Thunderbird, not Sunbird within Thunderbird. That's the only way the icons will match. I agree, it's an ugly scenario to have two of the same icons. I looked into changing the icon that would appear in the tray for Sunbird. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Mozilla's extensions give you an easy way to change icon (we use the icon found in the top left hand corner of the window for the tray icon). So for now, we don't know what to do. I'm sure if the Calendar extension's popularity grows, we'll have to do something about this issue.

Perhaps a possible fix is to wait for Sunbird 0.3. It will include extension support (we have already tested the MinimizeToTray extension to work in some early Sunbird builds). That way, you can run Thunderbird and Sunbird side by side, each having a different icon. The downside to this is extra memory usage...not too much, but enough that some people would care.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted June 21st, 2005, 12:45 am

To change the window icon, follow the instructions in the help for Changing the window icon. It does not matter whether you are using Sunbird (standalone) or using the Calendar extension in Thunderbird—the instructions are the same.

If the tray tools really use the window icon then they should pick up the change, but I have not tried it.

Another downside of using Sunbird is that you lose all e-mail support. There are ways to install extensions in Sunbird 0.2, but not if you installed it from the broken Windows EXE (the ZIP is OK).
Rod

pfaoro

Post Posted June 21st, 2005, 4:21 am

My thanks to both of you. I'll deal with it as best I can after my morning coffee. The first step will be to double check exactly what I installed. I thought it was Sunbird, but contrary to another Sunbird post I saw, the email alarms work well; I use them frequently.

helix400

Post Posted June 21st, 2005, 9:06 am

Thanks for that link Rod Whiteley. We had considered that as a temporary alternate solution, but I have never seen such a nice writeup on it before.

Now if only there was a way to have the .ico file replaced automatically via the extension... =)

Or hopefully, the new 0.3 Calendar extension will somehow do this already.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted June 21st, 2005, 10:15 am

An extension can check whether the icon file is there when it starts up. If the icon file is not there, then the extension can put one there. I think the change only takes effect the next time te application is started. The extension needs to have its own private copies of the icon file for all platforms.
Rod

Return to Calendar