MozillaZine

Problems: Sunbird won't run and Calendar won't open in Thund

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Damo

Post Posted May 24th, 2005, 3:03 pm

I'm not very technical but here goes. I run Firefox 1.0.4 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 on Mac OSX.

I can download Sunbird but it won't run, it just pops about in my dock and i can't get into it. After a while I can get into it and get as far as creating a user but then it crashes. This happens continuously.

I tried to download Calendar for Thunderbird from (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html) but the download came out as a plugin extension for Firefox and works in Firefox (great but I want it to run in Thunderbird).

Any ideas? Thanks

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted May 24th, 2005, 11:24 pm

I have no idea why Sunbird does not run. When you write "creating a user", it makes me wonder whether you are really running Sunbird. There is no way to create users in Sunbird.

The Calendar extension is packaged as a XPI that works in either Firefox or Thunderbird. To install it in Thunderbird, choose Tools – Extensions and either drop the XPI in the Extensions window, or open it using the Install button there.

By the way, technically a plugin is not the same as an extension. Calendar is an extension, not a plugin.
Rod

nrthomas

Post Posted May 25th, 2005, 4:14 am

Did you read the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html#install_tb">Install Calendar in Thunderbird instructions</a> ? You need to save the file to disk rather than just click on the link in Firefox.

kidbrax

Post Posted May 26th, 2005, 9:02 am

I am having the same problem. I am on a Mac and everytime I try and launch Sunbird it just bounces in the dock and then disappears. There is no error message, no window, no nothing.

kidbrax

Post Posted May 26th, 2005, 9:11 am

I deleted my Sunbird folder in ~/Library/Application Support and then it worked. It gave me a message and then crashed so I launched it again and now it works fine.

Damo

Post Posted May 26th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Thanks CrazyFred
I have now got Calender to run in Thunderbird - I hadn't saved it to disk as you thought.
I still can't get Sunbird to run though, I think it's a download problem

Damo

Post Posted May 26th, 2005, 2:22 pm

Thanks KidBrax
The second time I did what you suggested it worked! Dunno why but it did. Thanks

Return to Calendar