MozillaZine

email alarms when not connected to internet

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
bcwheeler43

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 9:34 am

Hi. I'm using the calendar extension for Thunderbird, and I have my calendar alarms emailed to my account. Right now I have cable internet, so I'm always connected and my alarms come in no problem. However, I will soon be in a situation where I have only a dial up connection and will not be connected very frequently. There will also probably be other people using my computer at that time, and they may close the alarm pop ups before I see them. My question is, will the email alarm be sent when the computer finally does connect to the internet, or does it only email if the computer is online at the moment the alarm goes off? Thanks!

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 11:56 am

I tried it. Calendar only sends the e-mail if Thunderbird is online when the alarm is raised. Otherwise Calendar just gives up and the e-mail disappears. It doesn't even go into Unsent Messages.

If your operating system supports multiple users, then you can arrange that other users do not have access to your calendar. This means that your alarms will not be raised until you are the user. Ensure that Thunderbird is online before you start Calendar.
Rod

sasquatch

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 12:06 pm

You mean they just disappear into the ETHERnet?

No wonder it is named ETHERnet.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 12:13 pm

Not on my machine—I can't stand the smell. I suspect they disappear into an empty catch block.
Rod

bcwheeler43

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 9:13 pm

that's too bad. going into unsent messages would be great. perhaps in a future release? this would be nice to see once lightning is up and going. anyway, thanks for the advice!

Return to Calendar