MozillaZine

Sundird & SOAP

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
pgiuseppe

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 5:22 am

Hi,
I wonder if it is possible to get/set events and task with SOAP.
Normally I would write an overlay, but Sunbird is already one.
So the only way is to hack the original sunbird?
Maybe is better to implement it in the standard version.
I'm ready to help develop it. because i'm sure that can be a killer feature, much more that webdav.

Giuseppe

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 5:46 am

pgiuseppe wrote:...Normally I would write an overlay, but Sunbird is already one...
I don't understand. Do you mean a XUL overlay? They work normally in Sunbird and in the Calendar extensions.

In Sunbird you might find that the XPCOM support for SOAP has been removed from the build. I don't know how much of a problem that would be for you.

I do not know much about SOAP, so I would be interested to know what makes it a "killer feature". Can you explain some more?
Rod

pgiuseppe

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 6:34 am

Rod Whiteley wrote: I do not know much about SOAP, so I would be interested to know what makes it a "killer feature". Can you explain some more?

The idea is that I can get and set information in my calendar indipendent from the infrastructure. While Webdav require a very precise configuration and that the calendar has a special format, with web services you can use the existing infrastructure and software, simply extending it.
So you can have an exchange server (outlook) or a Domino Lotus Notes server in the back end and publish information there.

This is my case where I use a Lotus notes @ work, a CMS PHP based server for my community and a outlook @ home.

today users have many tasks and many places, IMHO to win the race you should not PUSH your user in a system. But lets him use all together.

Return to Calendar