MozillaZine

FTP not working with TB extension?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
nedenom

Post Posted March 2nd, 2005, 5:35 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to put up a shared calendar now on three different FTP servers from the Thunderbird extension, but I just can't get it to work. All I get is "This does not appear to be a valid file".

If I put the calendar file on the web, I can subscribe to it and view it, but no way if I can publish changes.

I just downloaded Sunbird, put in the same ftp urls, and it now it works. But I would very much like to use the TB extension so I don't have to launch another app to see my calendar.

Edit: just tried the Firefox extension and it works! Why not with Thunderbird?

Edit no.2: Reviewing the ftp server's log, I see no connection attempts at all from the Thunderbird extension :(

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 3rd, 2005, 3:07 am

Thunderbird does not contain FTP support, and Calendar does not provide its own. This is a known issue (although if you look in Bugzilla you will see there is some confusion about it).
Rod

nedenom

Post Posted March 3rd, 2005, 4:46 am

Ah, I see, of course, the extension relies on Firefox's FTP support. Would be nice if that was stated somewhere in those tutorials I've read... :roll:

Thanks for your help anyway!

larrythethird

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 4:06 pm

If I am reading this right, I have to use the Thunderbird extension to get alerts. Any time I want to add something to the remote calendar, I have to close the TB Calendar, open the Firefox extension, publish to the server, close the Firefox version, re-open the TB version so the alerts work again.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted March 31st, 2005, 12:51 am

larrythethird wrote:...I have to use the Thunderbird extension to get alerts...
Only if you require e-mail alerts.

If you need to combine e-mail alerts and FTP publishing, you could try Calendar in Mozilla Suite. I have not tried it myself, but I think it should support both e-mail and FTP.
Rod

Return to Calendar