MozillaZine

a few thoughts

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
kjharrison

Post Posted February 23rd, 2005, 7:30 am

I imported my Yahoo Calendar to Sunbird and all my repeat events were imported as single events, not repeat events. Now if a time or date changes for a repeat event I have to go to each and every month to fix it. Will this be fixed in future versions?

Also, are birthday icons going to be used in future versions of Sunbird? So far every all day event has a star, so there's no way of determining if the event is a birthday or holiday with a simple glance.

How come the three calendars (Sunbird, SB Firefox, SB Thunderbird) don't use the same calendar when they install? I figured out how to make them use the same calendar file, but it would have been nice if they'd all installed with a common calendar file. People can create a different calendar file if they need multiple calendars.

Ken.

kjharrison

Post Posted February 23rd, 2005, 7:36 am

One more thing, will we ever be able to place tasks via drag-n-drop or a right click onto the calendar? It would also be nice if tasks had their own icon, too.

Ken.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 23rd, 2005, 10:32 am

Yahoo! Calendar: It depends. Perhaps Yahoo! has got the format wrong. In this case Yahoo! should fix it. But if it's a problem in Sunbird, it is very likely to be fixed in a future version.

Birthdays: Maybe. There have been a lot of proposals to make the user interface richer, but it will be difficult to decide where richness becomes clutter.

Calendar files: Which location would it use? Perhaps a setup wizard could ask the user. I don't think there is an easy way to make this work for everyone, but I might be wrong.

Tasks: Probably. Tasks have had very little attention, and there are a lot of proposals for improving the way they are handled.

Sunbird recently reached 0.2, which is very young! A lot of recent work has been on data storage stuff that you don't see in the user interface. As Sunbird matures, I think you will see the interface developing much more quickly and a lot of these things being addressed.
Rod

faun

Post Posted February 24th, 2005, 4:58 am

Rod Whiteley wrote:Calendar files: Which location would it use?

How about "Application Data\Mozilla\Calendar", as this is the component sunbird, lightning an the extensions are based on. I think this would be a nice idea. And using a single directory for calendar files by default makes it possible to lock the file while one application accesses it.

kjharrison

Post Posted February 24th, 2005, 7:56 am

Calendar Files: Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Calendar sounds like the most logical place to me.

Birthdays: Would it take up so much space to add a picture of a birthday cake where the star is? I'm not a programmer, so I really don't know.

Tasks: Any further integration of tasks with the calendar would be great to me.

I know Sunbird is still young, but wanted to add my thoughts and see if they're in the plans for future updates to Sunbird before it's officially released.

Thanks,
Ken.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 24th, 2005, 9:12 am

kjharrison wrote:...see if they're in the plans for future updates...
This forum is just for informal discussion. Bugzilla is where the actual plans are made and tracked, and where you can make formal requests for enhancements.
Rod

kjharrison

Post Posted February 24th, 2005, 9:54 am

Rod Whiteley wrote:This forum is just for informal discussion. Bugzilla is where the actual plans are made and tracked, and where you can make formal requests for enhancements.

Oh, I thought Bugzilla was just for programmers.

Thanks.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 24th, 2005, 11:10 am

kjharrison wrote:...I thought Bugzilla was just for programmers.
Anyone can contribute there. You can comment on existing bug reports if you have useful information about them. You can create new bug reports that identify problems or request enhancements. You can test other people's bug reports and fixes to help validate them.

Of course, if you are a programmer you can also submit patches to fix bugs. But you do not need to be a programmer to contribute.
Rod

Return to Calendar