MozillaZine

wCap in Calendar

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Hugues

Post Posted February 18th, 2005, 5:38 am

Besides the fact that I personnaly think that iCal is a quite poor method to share calendars (only an opinion - I could develop it - no flaming at all - I sware)

On a project I'm managing I would like to implement Thunderbird and Sunbird as a replacement for an Outlook/Netscape installed base.
There's only 1 drawback but it's a major one : lack of wCap support. It is definitely needed for the project and that alone could lead the firm to adopt a full MS solution for clients (There is a wCap plugin for Outlook) and even for servers.

I'm talking about 1900 mail clients and the related servers.

Is there any wCap plugin developed somewhere ? Would it be hard to add that support to Mozilla Calendar or Sunbird ? How hard would it be and how long would it take ?
Any other idea ?

Thank you in advance.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 18th, 2005, 9:14 am

I have seen a thing called icald (I think) that claimed to convert between iCal and wCap. Perhaps you can use that or adapt it.

BTW, if you are using Thunderbird, then the Calendar extension might be a better choice than Sunbird, because it gives you some extra mail and address book features.
Rod

Hugues

Post Posted February 21st, 2005, 2:17 am

Yes it indeed exists : http://www.earlham.edu/~littejo/software/icald-pod.html

But its limitations make it irrelevant for the use made of the actual calendaring synch.

And as for the extension/standalone we are indeed going the extension way - but we also need to use the standalone on some systems.
Thanks a lot.

Hugues

Post Posted June 6th, 2005, 4:57 am

New idea or help on the topic please ?

Return to Calendar