MozillaZine

Calendar Server?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
radioleft

Post Posted February 13th, 2005, 12:02 pm

I see references to a Mozilla Calendar Server and to WebDav. But, I completely in the dark and would appreciates some enlightment:

I want to maintain a calendar using Mozilla calendar or Sunfire and publish that calendar to a public folder on a website residing on an apache / linux server.

Do Calendar and Sunfire support this?

What do I need on the website to publish the calendar to the website?

If there are specific server products, I'd like to know about them. If not, what is the specification I need to look for. I'm interested in simple and utilitarian, with the easiest possible way to publish the calendar to the web.

I am a techie. But, I know nothing about this area and would really appreciate any information to help get me started. (You know how it is: When you have to start programming in a new environment, the most difficult thing to do is write, compile and run a "Hello World" program to learn the development system. - Well that's where I am with this.)

Geoff

faun

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 1:54 am

this should do the trick:
- copy the calendar file to your webserver (chmod 666)
- use calendar/sunbird to access the remote calendar: http://username:password@www.yourdomain ... arfile.ics
- if you change something locally in your calendar just select "publish entire calendar"

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 4:19 am

You can use FTP or WebDAV. For some more information on WebDAV, see the FAQ.
Rod

radioleft

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 12:48 pm

As I understand it, WebDav has to be installed globally on the server and provides services to all of the websites.

I'm going to investigate that because it seems like that could be a good selling point for our web hosting company.

Now, I'm a little mystified by the idea of simply ftp'ing the calendar to a directory, etc.

That implies that Calendar can create html.

But, what about navigation, etc.? Will it give me a year long calendar of one month per page month views, with navigation, for example.

Geoff

radioleft

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Also, I found a program at source forge called phpiCalendar. Change a few things in the config and then it should be able to communicate with Mozilla calendar using iCal.

Here's my installation, out of the box, without having published my calendar from Mozilla Calendar yet: http://www.radioleft.us/calendar

Here's the calendar that Outlook produces simply by "saving" to the web server. The problem with it is there's no way to tailor the appearance and it won't take graphics, either:

http://www.radioleft.us/programs/

I'm wanting out of Microsoft because of the cost and the constant security and integrity attacks on our computers.

We've been doing Linux (FreeBSD and RedHat) web hosting for 5 years, so, I'm ready to make the move. We'll need a Microsoft machine somewhere to accomodate customers that send us stuff in MS format. But, I may not even put it on the web for the reasons mentioned.

Geoff

Weslocke

Post Posted February 14th, 2005, 2:19 pm

One problem with the current implementation of the Remote Calendars is that passwords aren't cached (or at least, not all of them). Therefore if you have someone who has more than two remote calendars and they aren't in the same directory (share/whatever) on the webserver, you will be prompted for username/password for each calendar on every refresh regardless of whether you use the 'user:pass@domain.com' "trick" in the calendar definitions. This can (obviously) be quite a pain for (as an example) a secretary who is in charge of keeping track of 15 different calendars.

To make it useable for the end-user the calendars have to all be put into the same directory, which then allows each of the users access to any other calendar just by changing their calendar filename to point to another one.

At least unless there's a way of stopping it that I've not figured out.

Oh and also the problem of setting a calender to auto-publish, which is basically a requirement in the aforementioned case. If the user enters an event and there is an error writing out the calendar to the server, that event will be overwritten the next time they try putting in another event and the calendar is refreshed. It's understandable why it happens, but can be very confusing for non-techs. Just a warning.

But as far as PHP iCalendar, it's a great piece of software that's very configurable. I just hope they hurry up and get back to the development. ;-)

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 15th, 2005, 4:49 am

radioleft wrote:That implies that Calendar can create html.
I misunderstood your original question. Calendar cannot create HTML. Both FTP and WebDAV put the .ics file directly on the server. To view the .ics file in a web browser with graphics and navigation, you need a program running on the server to read the .ics file and build web pages from it.
Rod

radioleft

Post Posted February 17th, 2005, 12:00 am

Here's one more item that has me confused. I can download Calendar extensions for both firefox and for thrunderbird. So, which do I use? I suppose I'd like for firefox, thunderbird, and calendar to all communicate with each other.

Which brings up another point. If I were to setup firebird instead, can I get it to communitcate with firefox and thundrbird. I guess, I'd like to be able to do things like add contacts from Thunderbird to an event or task in the calendar.

Anyway, what do I do since I want to use the calendar, firefox, and thunderbird so they will interoperate to whatever extent they can?

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted February 17th, 2005, 3:47 am

They can all share the same calendar data. Use one of them to create a local calendar file, then use all the others to open the same .ics file.

As long as only one program is open at one time, there is no problem doing this. If more than one program is open at a time, you can lose data if you make changes to the same calendar in two different programs.
Rod

Return to Calendar